Why do I need a inverter/converter?

zztop

I have only been getting a day or two on my 2 - 12v. batteries. So I just brought home 2 new Costco 6 volt batteries for my 2012 Sundance 3200RE 5er and started reading all these treads on Inverters/converters and 6v. batteries. Now my head is swimming! What does the inverter and converter do for me? Why and how much money do I need to upgrade to these.
What kind of converter does my unit have?
Can someone tell me...Why? What? How?

danemayer

Hi zztop,

Your Sundance has a Power Converter. When you are plugged into shore power, the converter uses the AC power to create DC which 1) charges the battery and 2) provides DC power to your 12V lights, refrigerator, furnace, smoke & CO detectors, and any other 12V things you have. When camping without shore power, the converter doesn't do anything.

When camping without shore power, if you add an inverter, it will convert 12V from your batteries into 110V AC to run coffee pots, TVs and other 110V things you have.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I have installed a D cell jell battery that runs my inverter, I also have been using a 1700 watt inverter for about 6 or 7 years, I have this for when we are dry camping (boondocking) I can use my CPap when I need to sleep, DW can also use her hair drier in the morning if I do not wish to start the Gen Set.

evolvingpowercat

Microwave or Coffee, Hair Dryer, Curling Iron - that takes a 1200 Watt Sine Wave Output Inverter. Uses lots of battery capacity, needs huge cables that can carry 80 Amps from Battery to Inverter. Generally only do this if you have at least 200 Amp Hours of 12V battery capacity. Can use only one thing at a time. If you did like I did you have to run a 14 gauge extension cord from the inverter plug to the thing being used (just unplug from normal outlet and plug into inverter). Pretty geeky. Likely too geeky for some. You have to be careful not to over use or you will drain your battery. The inverter I used has shut down so you won't drain your battery past the point where it would do damage to the battery. But this is at the point where you might not be able to even close your slides and will have to hook to your towing vehicle and get your RV batteries some charge before you can take out. I have posted else where what I did.

To run a laptop, electric shaver, etc., just get a 100 watt or so inverter that plugs into one of the 12 Volt power sockets.