Mosquitoes everywhere!!

breid

This is our 4th season with our Cyclone and we have never had a problem like this before last weekend. The mosquitoes were particularly bad to begin with and seemed to find their way into the trailer at night. There is nothing more aggravating than hearing those little critters buzzing around your ears while you're trying to sleep. The whole family was literally eaten alive.

We took extra care to not leave the doors open and closed them quickly while going in and out. I was looking for gaps around the slides and doors that would allow them to crawl in. Then I got to thinking that this is one of the rare trips that the furnace was not on. Is it possible for mosquitoes and other insects to come in through the furnace intake and navigate through the heat ducting?

PUG

Pug
Can't think they would work up through the furnace system. Sounds more like doors were left open, bad sealing around slides, doors, rear ramp door or maybe around AC. From the outside check all your seals. My 3950 had poor sealing around the bedroom slide on the bottom. You could see daylight around bottom sides so I stuffed it full of foam.

Porkchop

OMG I had the same issue on our 9 day trip!!!!!

I killed all the mosquitoes that I could before bed but still found a ton still in the RV. I think there are problems with our slides and they are not fully closed up.

We have had the RV for less than 2 months. Is that something they can address when we bring it in? I think we found some 'holes' in the seals.

rick_debbie_gallant

My solution's are really very simple: I kill the 8 of the biggest, baddest skeeter and use a barn spike's to nail them to each corner of my rig:eek:. That gives the rest of them something to think about and they leave me alone. So sorry if they happen to visit you cause I scared them off!:cool:

Peteandsharon

My solution's are really very simple: I kill the 8 of the biggest, baddest skeeter and use a barn spike's to nail them to each corner of my rig:eek:. That gives the rest of them something to think about and they leave me alone. So sorry if they happen to visit you cause I scared them off!:cool:

The Romans used to use crucifiction as a way to send a message to the people they were trying to control. "Mess with us and this too can be you"! It's pretty tough to get the nails through a mosquitoe's feet though. You must be good with that barn spike.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We had mosquito problems when camping in a heavily shaded area over the 4th of July. Our solution was to aim the fan that I had on the floor towards the top of the door. It kept the mosquitos out even when the door was held open for a while when the kids were coming and going. When just sitting around outside we use a fan when the bugs are bad.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We just had the airplane go over at tree top level several times while air mosquito spraying. Go outside and you can sure smell it but it takes care of the problem. They do that all the time here in Port Arthur, Texas due to all of the swampy terrain.

rick_debbie_gallant

We just had the airplane go over at tree top level several times while air mosquito spraying. Go outside and you can sure smell it but it takes care of the problem. They do that all the time here in Port Arthur, Texas due to all of the swampy terrain.

I wonder what that will do for a humans health? If it aint good for the skeeters it cant be good for us humans. just sayin!!

jasons09cyclone

I always hang a sticky fly trap off the roof of the inside of the coach by the next day it's looks like every flying insect is stuck to it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dave49

Hmmmmmmm, last time I had someone fly over me spraying for mosquitos, they ended up calling that Agent Orange!! Of which I am now 100% disabled Vet due to it. Not sure what they are spraying up there, and I wasn't then...........Just sayin!!

rick_debbie_gallant

Hmmmmmmm, last time I had someone fly over me spraying for mosquitos, they ended up calling that Agent Orange!! Of which I am now 100% disabled Vet due to it. Not sure what they are spraying up there, and I wasn't then...........Just sayin!!

Welcome home Dave, and thank you for your service to our country and the world. I also remember those planes flying overhead "dropping their load" as we tried to stay alive. Keep your head down and your ammo dry! (check out Oath Keepers)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hmmmm...which is worse planes spraying killing the mosquitoes with supposedly harmless to humans insect spray or living with mosquitoes bearing their diseases which kill humans? just saying

pegmikef

Yep me too and it is the only ailment I have in spite of almost 25 years, but I guess I was lucky because it is only sixty percent.

wdk450

I wonder what that will do for a humans health? If it aint good for the skeeters it cant be good for us humans. just sayin!!

We had similar spraying for imported agricultural pest bugs in the '80s in the San Jose, Ca. area with aerial Malathion. The State director of the project (B.T. Collins - disabled Vietnam Vet) drank some on TV to show its low toxicity.

BTW, many of us at the Gillette rally had experiences with Millers moths (much bigger than mosquitoes) continually getting into the rigs, presumably through door cracks.

rick_debbie_gallant

Hmmmm...which is worse planes spraying killing the mosquitoes with supposedly harmless to humans insect spray or living with mosquitoes bearing their diseases which kill humans? just saying

Hummmmmmmmmmmm, I guess it all depends on how supposedly harmless to humans is. With the mosquito it is kind of like playing a version of Russian Roulette. Maybe the bug has the bug and maybe the bug dont have the bug.

However if the "supposedly harmless" to humans turns out to be very harmful to humans after several years of spraying, I think I will take my chances with the bug maybe having the bug. Was not AO supposed to be "supposedly harmless" to humans"? Guess we know the answer to that one. I will take my liberal doses of bug spray or oil first before being sprayed by the bug killer. (No offense Jim)

BTW I am at 40%.

Last edited:

traveler44

We were spending the weekend at a rv resort near the south end of lake Kissimmee Fl. and we were parked next to the canal. The first time I went outside in the evening I let about 30 mosquitoes in. They were big black mosquitoes and when my son got there, later, he grabbed a can of the mosquito repellent in the green can- I think it is deep woods off-and sprayed around the outside of the door and the side of the slide next to it. We had one of those post lights just out from the door and I think it helped attract flying insects and there were some stuck in the oily film from the mosquito spray for a couple of days. After he sprayed the door and around it we didn't have any more problems with mosquitoes inside. The oily film washed off later with soap and water. Tom

Last edited:

Dave49

Welcome home to those that served. I am not trying to start anything here, I just stated a fact of what happened way back then. Not saying that what they are spraying today for mosquitos is safe or unsafe. Just saying that I hope we learned our lesson in the first place. I'm in northern MI at this time and the mosquitos are abundant as they always have been in northern MI. Spray with Off and it's good for a bit.

Have a great day everyone, and have fun camping with your rigs and enjoy your families. I am a fulltimer in our Bighorn now for 2 yrs. and don't see that lifestyle ending anytime soon. It's a great lifestyle and meet a lot of great people, see a lot of neat places and enjoy life to it's fullest!!!

Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

Welcome home to those that served. I am not trying to start anything here, I just stated a fact of what happened way back then. Not saying that what they are spraying today for mosquitos is safe or unsafe. Just saying that I hope we learned our lesson in the first place. I'm in northern MI at this time and the mosquitos are abundant as they always have been in northern MI. Spray with Off and it's good for a bit.

Have a great day everyone, and have fun camping with your rigs and enjoy your families. I am a fulltimer in our Bighorn now for 2 yrs. and don't see that lifestyle ending anytime soon. It's a great lifestyle and meet a lot of great people, see a lot of neat places and enjoy life to it's fullest!!!

Dave

Peace to you Brother Dave and welcome home! Perhaps we will bump into one another during our travels or at a rally. Stay safe and watch out for the MMAC!
(that is short for Michigan Mosquitoes Air Corp!)

Dave49

Peace to you Brother Dave and welcome home! Perhaps we will bump into one another during our travels or at a rally. Stay safe and watch out for the MMAC!
(that is short for Michigan Mosquitoes Air Corp!)

Right back at yea Rick. MMAC is hard at work at this moment. Inside is good for now!!! Thanks for the Welcome Home. I see your from Hopkins. Before fulltiming began I lived in Vermontville and quite frequently drove thru Hopkins to get to US131 and head for Kalamazoo Speedway as I raced cars for 31 yrs and frequented that track a few times every yr.

Hoping we meet somewhere and sit down and have a good chat!!

Dave