Hydraulic Landing Gear Question

ihsolutions

Strange thing happened today. Brought my BH home from the storage yard and proceeded to disconnect from truck like usual. Raised the front of the trailer using landing gear like always. Pulled truck out of the way.

Went inside and started deploying slides. Bedroom goes first (lightest one), it is hydraulic too, not cable like the newer ones.

When the bedroom slide reached full extension, the front landing gear dropped all the way down to the lowest position. This was a drop of probably 8-10 inches. So I raised it back up, went inside, and finished extending slides like usual.

There are no hydraulic fluid leaks visible anywhere, and the fluid reseviour (sp?) is at it's normal level. Everything seems fine now.

Is this a freak thing or is it somehow explainable. I have a limited working knowledge of hydraulics and don't quite understand how this happened, just once. I've never had any problems with the system in the 2+ years I've owned it.

danemayer

If like our Landmark there is a separate valve for each slide and landing jack - or maybe each pair. Sounds like the valve got stuck open or leaked internally.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ihsolutions

Yes, it has the separate valves.

I tried to repeat the problem a couple times with no success. So I'll hope it was just something stuck and doesn't happen while we're out on the road, or sleeping in it. One thing is for sure, it would have trashed my JT strongarms if I had them tightened up.

jnbhobe

Mine has done that with the level-up before, I think its a sticky solinoid, there is an allen socket on the back of each valve that can be opened to flush out any dirt back to the oil tank.

danemayer

You might want to call Lippert to get their opinion about whether and what follow-up action is appropriate. Also, this is a good illustration of why you want to have support jacks under the frame before you crawl under the rig to work on anything.

ZAZ

Question....I have a 2013 370c cyclone toy hauler with the front hydraulic jacks, and the switch on the outside is floppy. I went to go unhook my trailer and thats when I noticed it that it would not work. I found a back up switch for the slides were the genset and hydraulic pump is and there is no backup switch for the front hydraulic legs nor is there away to get them down or up. I'm really ******* off about that and to top it off, I phoned a couple of dealers and they have to order a new switch in and can take up to who knows how long to get one and then get my unit booked in. I would suggest to all is to get a back up switch installed in case of one fails like mine did that have hrdraulic jacks on their trailer.

One thing is, Im glad about this did not happen to me on a campground or where ever the case could be as I would have been *******. Sad thing is I have to take my trailer to a dealer and get them to lift my trailer up so I can unhitch from my truck and have some wheels and wait on a new switch to get installed when it gets here, which also wrecks my summer without traveling and camping.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

I have to take my trailer to a dealer and get them to lift my trailer up so I can unhitch from my truck and have some wheels and wait on a new switch to get installed when it gets here, which also wrecks my summer without traveling and camping.

Zaz, sorry you're having this problem. Why don't you call Heartland Customer Service and ask them to ship you a new switch. It's probably very easy to install yourself. Even if you don't feel confident, you could take the switch when you go to the dealer and they could install it without even having to unhook the trailer.

If this problem is keeping you from going on a trip, let Heartland know. They may be willing to expedite shipment to keep you on schedule.

If Heartland doesn't have a switch in stock, you could call Lippert and have the same conversation.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Those are, I believe, double pole, double throw, momentarily on switches. You can get them at boating stores and possibly one of the big box hardware stores. Hook one up temporary until your dealer gets a new warranty one. No sense in not having the use of your trailer over a simple switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

yep it would be pretty simple to just jump out the switch with a couple of jumper wires to get it off the truck and then do as Gus said pick up a DPDT switch till you get the right one.

ZAZ

Thanks for the help guys, would not have thought of that. It's great that we can all help each other when needed. Cheers.