Water pump started blowing fuses

sjs731

Over the weekend we were using the pump and while taking a shower the pump stopped working. Noticed that the 10 amp fuse was blown and replaced it. Shortly after the fuse blew again. Replaced it and it blew again. I think I changed it six times. When we were packing up it seems the pump was leaking because the carpet in the basement was wet. It didn't seem like a lot of water was leaking because we still had good pressure up until a fuse blew. I had my wife run some water and the pump runs fine but when it quit running I could hear air gurgling back into the lines. I'm suspecting a loose fitting. Anybody else ever have this problem? We are having our driveway sealed so naturally I had to drop our unit somewhere that I won't be able to work on it for a couple days.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bring it down to Rapids. I'm a little bored. We'll git er fixed right up. A loose water fitting shouldn't cause the fuse to blow. Maybe a loose wire/connection or short.

sjs731

Ray, I've got a busy week otherwise I would be on my way. Driveway got sealed so rig is not at home till tomorrow so I haven't even looked at it yet and we've got another trip this weekend. Tomorrow after work I am pulling the back wall of the basement out and digging into the issue. Stay tuned.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willym

I'm not sure what model water pump you have, but if it is a Shurflo Smart Sensor/Extreme series, it may require a 15 amp fuse. Check the pump label for the recommended fuse.

kkamshop

Mine. Started leaking around the housing and blowing fuses and after a phone call to shurflow they sent me a new pump

sjs731

Kkamshop you were right on the money. Took the back wall down and fired up the pump and the housing was leaking. It was an Artis Products pump which I had never heard of. Replaced with a Shurflo Revolution. If I would have known how quiet a pump can be I would have done it sooner just because. The old pump is still under warranty but I needed it fixed for the weekend. Now to take care of the warranty. Ray, maybe next time I'll head to Rapids with my next project.

Steve

sjs731

I'll be sure to post the outcome of the warranty process with Cheng USA.

Steve

sjs731

Well, I faxed all the proper paperwork to Cheng USA and have heard nothing so I called and naturally got a recording which said if your RV is in it's first year of warranty contact the manufacturer and if the Cheng USA product is in it's second year contact CHENG. My rig was in year one so I guess they totally ignore the paperwork I sent in. I called Heartland and was told to send the pump with the receipt and the receipt for shipping and I am getting reimbursed for the total. Thanks to Heartland. Their customer service impressed me again. Oh and the Shurflo pump I pump in is way better than what I had.

Steve