Calling for suggestions along the route

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
We will be leaving on August 18 for a roundtrip from Montreal to the Rockies from Billings, Montana to Santa Fe and maybe White Sands, New Mexico. Driving eatwards through Elkhart, then Iowa and South Dakota. Driving westward along route 66 across Texas and Oklahoma. Planned duration: to late October.
Any suggestions???southwest.JPG

gasman

Camp Socializer
If you take I-15 through Utah, stop at the Bingham Copper Mine just a little southwest of Salt Lake. It is the largest open-pit mine in the world. You can continue southeast through Moab and checkout Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. There are several real nice RV parks in Moab.

noobee

I suggest that after Billings head a little west so that you can go south on I15. This will allow you to visit the Canyonlands of Utah & also the Grand Canyon.... well worth the extra distance.

Also, at Mitchell SD don't miss the Corn Palace.

BTW: what software are you using for your mapping?

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks for the tips. We do not intend to cross the rockies this year. We are however planning next year's roadtrip leaving Montreal to Vancouver, then down the Pacific coast to mid-California, then through Las Vegas and south across Arizona to the Rio Grande. We would spend winter time around Port Aransas before headingback along the Natchez Trace. We originally planned that route for this year however we are now expecting 2 new grandkids for December and February...

I am using RV Roadtrip Navigator 2012 (Undertow Software). I have downloaded many different POI files that are proving useful in planning, such as all wineries and all breweries across America :eek:! It also will work in conjunction with a GPS receiver. It contains all of the current Trailer Life Directory info and you can update that info everytime you connect to the internet.

I suggest that after Billings head a little west so that you can go south on I15. This will allow you to visit the Canyonlands of Utah & also the Grand Canyon.... well worth the extra distance.

Also, at Mitchell SD don't miss the Corn Palace.

BTW: what software are you using for your mapping?