Bin drawers help?

prin

Has anyone found a good way to deal with the awful bin drawers and their propensity for falling off the glides every time you pull them out or travel. Gosh any help would be greatly appreciated. This downsizing is coming along well otherwise and we leave for Tahoe next week- Would love to have a solution before then
thank you Prin

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
prin, hopefully an MPG owner will reply. Help me understand your drawer glides. Are they light colored steel rails that a little wheel rolls on? When they are pulled all the way out, you lift and pull again to remove the drawer?
There should be a plastic "locking tab" under the drawer that prevents it from coming all the way out. These may be missing the tab? Also the rollers and tracks need to be lined up pretty close. I've gone as far as shimming the glide attached to the side of the drawer with small washers to get it to line up correctly. You can always add a pinching device to help keep the drawer closed during travel. They're available at all home centers.

canakiwi

I replaced the plastic trays in our 181 with drawers from Ikea. I installed 3 Ikea "Rationell" drawers that fitted in the gaps prettty well perfectly. Installed panels of composite board on each side to support the drawers and the problem of those stupid plastic bins was solved

181 drawers.jpg

marc515

Easy fix:

Take the screws out of the front of the drawer guides, and put in washers as spacers, and put thescrews back in. I only needed to add 1 faucet washer.

prin

Great idea will do it also it is the width that I have a problem with the glides are too far apart BUT I am going to get in there tomorrow and see what else beside the washer I can do and thank you!
Prin

Jane, John and "Roadie" the Clumber Spaniel

prin

Aha when I get to Ikea I will certainly look into this-- the photo looks wonderful and just what I would like. After the trip to Tahoe- Ikea here I come!
Heard today that the 36' diesel pusher we had on consignment has sold 12 years of great fun but the 184 is perfect for two over 60'ers LOL if I can just get those pesky bins replaced
Many thanks!!! Prin

prin

thank you but it is not a opening problem it is the ugly plastic bins they call drawers and they slide off the rails as you pull them out or bump off the rails when traveling HATE tham but the Ikea drawer solution seems to fit just what I am looking for--thanks for the answer!
Prin

marc515

Great idea will do it also it is the width that I have a problem with the glides are too far apart BUT I am going to get in there tomorrow and see what else beside the washer I can do and thank you!
Prin

Yes, the metal glides are too far apart, so if you add spacers/washers on each side, it will move the glides more towards the drawer, and they will sit better on the slides. Worked perfectly for us.

Tumblebug

I also added a pull to the front, a single pull in the center. Mine stayed in the slots OK but are kinda lame for drawers.

MountainTop

My husband made several changes that solved the problem, though we still have the bins. First, he put a nice drawer pull in the center of each drawer front. Next, he put another rail in above each of the existing rails so the drawer edges are sandwiched between the 2 rails. That solved the problem of flopping drawers. Finally, he put something at the back of the structure the drawers are hung from to keep them from going so far back in the cavity. Now they're pretty stable and I don't worry about them falling out during use or in transit.

kb0zke

The supports on ours weren't square, so one drawer was good, the next was so-so and the third fell out. We took it back to the dealer who fixed things under warranty. They couldn't do much about the out of square frame, so they got some bigger pieces of aluminum angle and a few washers. Drawers work fine now. We like being able to pull all three drawers out and bring them into the house for packing/unpacking. Now if we could only remember which drawer has the can opener in it. Seems like no matter what we want we have to look in three drawers before we get it.