ATF: ElkRidge - Awning bracket bent again

jmaguire

My right side awning bracket is bent again. The dealer said he replaced the bracket last month and the first time I opened it to clean it the new bracket bent up exactly like the old one. I did notice that the arms would not line up correctly when the awning was retracted so I am thinking it must not be adjusted properly. Can I get information on the manufacturer of my awning, and if you have any installation manuals so I can try to adjust it myself?
Any information to help me repair this would be appreciated.

jmaguire

I have a Sunchaser II by Dometic according to the paperwork I received with the camper. It features new sunchaser II 8275000 Series hardware. I need an installation manual to see why this thing keeps bending the bracket. My guess is that it was not installed correctly (misaligned). I don't mind fixing it myself, it will be cheaper than taking it to the dealer to screw up again.
I thought this was a "ask the factory" forum? But jnbhobe I do appreciate your willingness to try and help.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, is it the upper mounting bracket that is bending? The thing that consistently causes that is a binding effect in the upper support arm as it slides together while retracting the awning. Make sure that black knob is very loose before retracting. Also, make sure the main support arm is lowered all the way down to the stopper stud.
As for the alignment, while the main awning arm is up against the upper bracket, Look up there and determine how much you need to move the arm so it will be centered on the bracket. Pull the awning back out and while holding the awning, you should be able to slide the awning tube in the direction needed. Only go as far as needed to center that arm on the bracket. Then mark the awning tube at the edge of the awning using a marker. This is now a check point to use before retracting the awning. Our awning has been like this for years. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jmaguire

Ray, and danemayer thanks for the posts. Ray, you got it correct. The upper arm was binding when it was supposed to be loose. Now the question is what is the best repair for the stripped out holes the lag bols were screwed into. The dealer I took it to for bolt the bracket to the aluminum, and then use stainless screws to re-attachtold me they replaced the bracket and repaired whatever was wrong with it, but all they did was put the same lag bolts back in and filled the bracket with silicone. I'm pretty ****ed about being charged for that but that is between me and the dealer. They used to do good work, but the last several times I took my rig there they just jerry rigged it. Now, the repair. The lag bolts are stripped out where they go into the side of the camper. I think I am going to get a piece aluminum plate about 2" bigger around than the bracket and re-attach the plate to the camper in new holes. Any other suggestions?

rick_debbie_gallant

Well let me see, several ways

1. Drill out the bad holes and glue in some good solid hard wood. may even want to use gorilla glue.

2. Drill out the bad whole with the proper sized drill for a threaded bolt wood insert. your choice on size. here: http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/index.html

3. Drill out the bad hole and epoxy either a round or a square dowel in the whole.

4. If you can see # two above and put in extra bolts and screw inserts. that is bout all i got.

jmaguire

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try and glue in a hardwood dowel and re-try the lag bolts. I'll also have to waterproof the openings that were drilled through the fiberglass coating so the wood doesn't get wet and swell.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the info. I think I'll try and glue in a hardwood dowel and re-try the lag bolts. I'll also have to waterproof the openings that were drilled through the fiberglass coating so the wood doesn't get wet and swell.
John, on the left upper bracket, Ive used the pictured anchor and set it using 2 part epoxy. Still good after almost 6 years. On the right side bracket, I drilled all the way through the wall. Just inside of that bracket in our coach is the bedroom TV cabinet. I used long 1/4" machine screws with a fender washer and nut in the TV cabinet. That was only 2 years ago but still good. Both of these situations were my fault. I either didn't get the main support arm all the way down or the upper tensioning arm binded. I now make sure everything is lowered, loose and lined up before retracting the awning. :eek:

Attachments

• self drilling zi&#.jpg
    self drilling zi&#.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 9