Looking to make Cable and Satellite use easier!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am looking to fix my connections inside my UDC easier for using either cable or Satellite connections. We have a HD Directv system with 3 TVs hooked up to 3 Receivers. One in the Living Room, Bedroom and also one outside in the storage area. I want to be able to switch from Satellite (Primary) to Cable if the place we are at has and we are not there long. I would also like to use the antenna if need to.

I have taken a cable layout from the forum and added to it. What I would like to know is if it will work? I am not looking to do any rewiring except in the basement.

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• Landmark_Coax_Wiring_Layout_10-01-07a.jpg
    Landmark_Coax_Wiring_Layout_10-01-07a.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 88

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I purchased the RG6 tool so I can make my own cords. I made short pigtails and leave them hooked up in the UDC. At the same place you get the tool (lowes radio shack home depot) you can pick up some barrel connectors. That way you can screw your cable to that and it's a lot easier cord to cord. Also, if you have a carry out dish, I use a trot line spool to roll my cable on. I roll the cable to it so that I can unroll only what I need and still connect both ends.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes I too bought the tools needed. But I am in the process of adding two cable connectors in. One for the cable and the other for the outdoor TV. I was just wondering if it will work.

danemayer

If you have an SWM LNB from Directv, your diagram should work but you may be making it more complicated than you need to. If you put the 4-way SWM splitter in the UDC, you hook one output to the living room connector, the 2nd to the bedroom connector, third to a new wire that you pull across the basement to a new satellite wall plate next to where the TV mounts. The 4th gets terminated. The original cable and antenna connections are left undisturbed and work when you change the TV inputs and other settings. The SWM power inserter just has to be associated with the correct connector on the splitter so power gets to the LNB.

If you have the multi-switch LNB on your dish, I doubt your diagram will work. But if there are 4 coax lines from the LNB, you can run 1 to the living room UDC connector, 2nd to the bedroom UDC connector, 3rd to a new basement connector. If you add an additional coax line to the living room, you can use the 4th output of the LNB to feed the 2nd tuner on your DVR receiver (if you have a DVR).

I've tried the Directv Approved Splitter with the multi-switch LNB both in the RV and at home. Did not work for me. I think it may work with standard definition signals, but not with high-def, except using the SWM configuration.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Our DirectTV recievers have an aux input for the cable. When hooked up and you switch the power off the box automatically moves to the cable signal. We are not high def in the camper (so that may be why) but it sure is easier than rewiring the UDC.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Okay Hastey, I am from Arkansas and we used a bucket for trot-lines. What does a trot-line spool look like?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Okay Hastey, I am from Arkansas and we used a bucket for trot-lines. What does a trot-line spool look like?

It looks like a nickel's worth of black plastic that Wally World sells for a couple of bucks. You just wind it up around it.