A Good Reminder of the Value of a Progressive EMS

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
While camping this past weekend our main A/C shut down several times. Then we realized all the power was being shut off. I checked the display for the Progressive EMS and it showed 105-108 volts on one leg and 124 on the other.

Went out and checked the pedestal and got the same readings. Sam went and told the cg manger and he had a maintenance man there in less than 15 minutes.

He pulled the panel on the pedestal and checked the legs coming in. Same thing. The cg called Duke Power and they were there within an hour. While waiting for the power company, I figured I would just switch over to 30 amp service. Checked the 30 amp outlet and as luck would have it, it was being fed by the bad leg. Switched legs in the pedestal and at least we had one A/C running.

Duke Power checked the lines feeding the main panel for that supplied power for about 10 sites. They found that one of their legs feeding the panel was bad.

Here is the temporary fix until they could get back this week.
IMAG0814.jpg

The point is, with out the EMS, I could have very easily burned up the compressor and what ever else was on that leg. I believe the EMS just paid for itself and I will never be with out one.

Side note: The service guy from Duke at first said it had to be a problem with the trailer. It was late Friday and I think he wanted to go home and eat dinner. He said this because no one else was having a problem. I showed him that all the other trailers in that area were all 30 amp and probably didn't have any sort of protection against bad power. He reluctantly checked his side of the meter but once he did he had the little mini-booster there with in the hour. Once it was installed we had 120 volts on both legs.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's always "your trailer". I have a hard time thinking it might be our trailer but it so far is always there power that has the issue. I still can't get this CG to realize that.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our Progressive did the same thing last year in that once the volts got down to 107-109, it automatically shut the system off. We did the same thing in that we started checking the post which showed very low and then the campground manager contacted the power company. The power in the community was being overtacked so everyone was receiving low voltage. We did the same thing in that we changed over to the 30 amps to protect the system.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
The value of a Progressive EMS or a Surge Guard can not be overstated. We too, after experiencing problems in a camp ground, were told the problem was with "our trailer". Persistence and a competent electrician finally traced the "problem" to the camp ground's distribution box that serviced 20 sites. Three breakers in the box were severely scorched or burned from arcing. All sites serviced by that distribution box were occupied, we were the only trailer with a Surge Guard that were protected by shutting off the bad power to our trailer. Yes, it has paid for itself and I too will never be without one.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Our PI EMS 50 saved us from low power two weeks ago. Line voltage dropped to 104 volts, and after a few minutes later it was down to 71 volts.

RCF

Are you guys using the portable or hardwired model?

I have a new 2013 Bighorn 3585 on the way, and would prefer hardwired with the remote display unless it's a total PITA to install. Seems like it would be nice to keep it out of the weather and out of sight. The 3585 has the power cord reel, not sure if that will facilitate or hinder installation.

If anyone has hardwired one, any tips/advice/pic's/etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Clint

bighorn3370

RCF, I think most have the hardwired. I installed the hardwire on my BH. It was not hard. I do not know your electrical abilities, so it may be easy or hard for you. If you do not know what you are doing with electricity, I recommened you take it to someone. I also think most that have installed them or had them installed put them behind the basement wall, next to the steps. If you get a portable one, I would think that the weather should not affect it. The bigger problem would be it growing legs on you. I hope this helps you. Ernie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My Progressive EMS-EW50C is hardwired. Initially, not being sure about it, I had my dealer install it before we took possession. Silly me. They installed it right behind the breaker panel, which is totally unaccessible. I later moved it to the forward edge of the floor extension behind the basement walls using some 6/3 NM w/g that I had left over from wiring my garage. Later still, I moved it and the converter to a panel I attached to the side of the bedroom stair frame to get them out of the way of any potential water leaks.

It is not difficult to wire in if you have even rudimentary electrical skills and can read instructions. Hardest part is manipulating the 6 gage wire needed for a 50A rig. Stuff is very stiff and there isn't a lot of room in the suppressor box to work in, but it's doable.

jnbhobe

I did mine like John, moved it and the converter to the side of the steps on a piece of 3/4 plywood. I used a piece of 6/4 SO cable or you can use SJ about 5ft long, it is very flexible and easy to use.

RCF

Thanks guys! I'm more mechanically inclined than electrically inclined, but I'm pretty good with simple wiring/rewiring, replacing breakers, etc. I'm sure it should be fairly straight forward wiring. I'll go ahead and get one ordered! Any advantage to getting the one with the remote display?

Bigger question for me would be where in the electrical circuit to splice it in, and where to mount it. Kinda hard to picture in my head the location you guy mentioned 'cause I'm a very visual person - like I said, my unit is on order, and currently have a travel trailer, so not easy to picture for me.

Mind helping me out with a little more description on the "side of the stair frame" location? Is that inside or outside? How did you access that location? Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the help.

Bksvo

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/31455-Surge-Guard-40240-Installation-in-a-Cyclone

Here's one thread. If you search the forum you'll find others.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've lost count of how many times the Progressive EMS has saved us...we're at the Ohio Expo Center right now and are having the opposite problem....we are intermittently getting hit with more than 132 volts, and the EMS keeps shutting us down. Sure hope after more campers get here for the carshow, it draws the voltage down...

JohnDar

Thanks guys! I'm more mechanically inclined than electrically inclined, but I'm pretty good with simple wiring/rewiring, replacing breakers, etc. I'm sure it should be fairly straight forward wiring. I'll go ahead and get one ordered! Any advantage to getting the one with the remote display?

Bigger question for me would be where in the electrical circuit to splice it in, and where to mount it. Kinda hard to picture in my head the location you guy mentioned 'cause I'm a very visual person - like I said, my unit is on order, and currently have a travel trailer, so not easy to picture for me.

Mind helping me out with a little more description on the "side of the stair frame" location? Is that inside or outside? How did you access that location? Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the help.

This is my stair frame mounting (BH3670). I attached a piece of 3/4" plywood to the side of the stair frame and then mounted the converter and suppressor to it. Having the remote display where you can see it is definitely desireable. Some have mounted two of the remotes, one inside the rig and the other at the UDC. I only have one, mounted in the switch cabinet inside the rig. I also have a Charge Wizard remote for the converter, so I can tell what it's doing.

Mounting the converter in this orientation allows for cleaner air into the cooling fan (it was in a dust pile) and access to the fuses, should I need to. I modified the basement walls with access panels so I can get in there without having to empty the entire basement. The one behind the UDC lets me inspect for any leaks easily and access the water pump and water heater.

View attachment 20153 View attachment 20154
View attachment 20155View attachment 20156

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I ran my generator the other day (just to check it out) and had the EMS on it. The fluctuation of the output power was amazing until the generator warmed up. The voltage was going from 100 to 138 AC volts and 55-68 cycles. The EMS had the voltage shut down until everything stabilized. Then it was 119-128 and 59-61 cycles. I was amazed by this.

JohnDar

Excellent! Thanks John, much more clear now!

My pleasure (OK, I like to "brag" my stuff and show pictures). In regards to where to splice the suppressor in, you will be disconnecting the feed from your shore power inlet at the main breaker panel (inputs to the 50A breakers). Those wires will become the input side of the suppressor. For the output to the main panel breakers, use the section of 6 ga. wire you will need to purchase and connect the same colors to where you removed them.

Just so you don't try to sue me, here's the safety warning: DISCONNECT THE TRAILER FROM THE PEDESTAL POWER SUPPLY BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS! ELECTRICAL ARCS BETWEEN YOUR TEETH FILLINGS CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH.

Here's the manual for the Progressive unit.

Bksvo

Or, if you have a generator, I pulled the wire from the output side of the automatic transfer switch, and mounted the EMS right next to it. That was much easier in my installation.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
As to having a remote display..... we are connected to a 30A pedestal this week and using an adaptor which feeds both legs on the 50A system.
We have found ourselves checking the display for total amp draw before using the microwave, wife's blowdryer, coffee pot etc. We are enduring 100 degree heat (the Cyclone is managing quite well on 1 a/c unit) and have had to shut off the a/c a couple times to keep from over-amping.
The display has been very handy!

truknutt

Committed Member
My system came to the rescue just last night. Arrive at the CG, unhook from the truck, plug in the unit and we only have 97/98 volts on a 30 amp line. I tell the manager who gives the old song and dance "you're on the tail end of the line and everyone is running their A/C. Tomorrow it won't be so hot so you should have all your voltage back." Are you kidding me?!

This is where having the portable version comes in handy--carry the EMS to a new site and after explaining that it WASN'T just a surge suppressor, the manager is noteably impressed with the EMS capabilities. The neighbors were all gathered around to see the "magic box"! We had 114/115 volts by the way.

Now the downside to this is that most of the neighbors are seasonal site owners and are now questioning the CG's electric supply; I may not be welcomed back!

P.S. They really liked my Watts water regulator!!!