SOLVED: Extreme condensation inside our bedroom from the AC

mikeandconnie

Hi,
We are on our maiden voyage with our new Key Largo, love the new whisper AC. We have encountered one problem. The AC in the bedroom has been dripping condensation. We have found puddles of water over our bed. Has anyone else had this problem. Does anyone have any solutions. My wife loves the rig, but she is not happy having to wash the linen everyday. The condensation is severe. We even have water dripping in the living room. I hope to find a solution from someone. Thanks to all the heartland owners who have given me helpful tips in the past. I am worried that the ceiling may not last with this much moisture.

mikeandconnie

Re: Extsream consationin inside our bedroom from the AC

sorry about the typeo. It should read extreme condensation....my bad

jbeletti

Re: Extreme condensation inside our bedroom from the AC

Mike and Connie,

This is not normal. You need to have it looked at as soon as you can. Sounds like the condensate is not draining out of the system "on the roof" as it should.

A question for you though - are you running your ACs on low fan? Reason I ask is that some have found that low fan can allow the ACs to freeze up and thereby cause frost that melts and can run inside.

As for your ceiling, it's block foam and should not be getting harmed. Hope you get some input on this thread that helps you figure out what is going on. Let us know.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

If you are running the A/C on a low fan it will frost up on the coils. As it thaws out it will drip down into the bedroom.

If we find our A/C frost up we turn the A/C off and run the fan on high to defrost the coils and evaporate the moisture without it dripping down on the inside.

Also if it is cool outside an you have the A/C turned down to a low temperature we have found that the coils will frost over blocking the air flow. Then we have to do what I stated above.

BC

porthole

Retired

Could also be an issue of using the AC with the door open, using only the screen, or having a window open. Both will allow excess humidity in the trailer which will condense on the "cold" discharge vents - and drip.

On really hot & humid days even running on high, our main AC will have moisture condensing on the ceiling panel and dripping on the floor. Molly could care less, once Regis finds it though I think it will drive him bonkers.

Guess my point is - is the moisture from a blocked drain, coils freezing up or condensation like we have.
If the AC has a low speed, then you should be able to run it at a low speed without the coil freezing.
A dislodged thermostat sensor (or one moved to make the AC run colder) will cause evaporator coil freezing.

My guess would be if you still have plenty of air flow and cold air with the condensation, then the coil freezing is not the culprit.

That "move the thermostat bulb to make the AC colder" is something some of our geniuses at the firehouse do. An especially good trick is to do it before the oncoming shift comes in, so that it freezes up when you need it most.

mikeandconnie

I will check the drain. The problem is not just a drip, it is a considerable amount of water accumulating on the ceiling resulting in the sheets soaked by bedtime. We never had this problem with the Pinehurst 2009.

sgtbigb

I donot have the new AC system, but had have a simular problem. I read post who had the same problem that recomended to remove the ac housing from the inside an check 4 bolts that hold unit to roof. Was able to tighten to bolts and problem was solved.

porthole

Retired

I will check the drain. The problem is not just a drip, it is a considerable amount of water accumulating on the ceiling resulting in the sheets soaked by bedtime. We never had this problem with the Pinehurst 2009.

This description is different from your first. If is is accumulating on the ceiling around the vents or in a line under the duct work that could indicate the duct work is not insulated or is touching the ceiling.

If touching, that would explain the condensation on the ceiling itself.

mikeandconnie

Yes! It's not coming from the vents. It's covering the whole ceiling. We had the ac off the last few days, but I'm running it again today and I will take some pic's and contact Heartland CS. When I was on top of the rig looking for the problem, I did find one bolt missed drilled. It also appeared to be in the wrong location. I also found that the missed drilled area was uncovered so I sealed the area. This did not help the problem. I will post pics. It maybe an insulation problem. I am no expert. Thanks for all the helpful tips.

hoefler

Check the 4 mounting bolts. On ours, when it leaked inside, the bolts were over-tightened. The pan was deformed enough to cause a low spot, the water collected there and overflowed into the return area and dripped on the bed. I loosened all 4 bolts and let it set for a day. The leak quit. The next day, I snugged the bolt back up ( I believe the spec is 14 ftps ), and has not leaked since.

mikeandconnie

Up date... I had to call a tech due to both my AC's was leaking when raining.. When he removed the AC, he ask me if I was getting condensation. He had to tape up the box that separates the return air from the cold because there was a big hole in them. He said cold air going into the return air will cause condensation and freeze up... He also said I sould see a big differences in cooling. I have been cold the last 24 hour in our rig and see a big change.
Thanks for all the info.

ac 066.JPG

Last edited: