6 speed owners

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The next time you take a over 3 hour highway trip, check the temperature of the old transmission with the infrared gun. Above 200 degrees F!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Like to stay in the 160* range. However, when towing in overdrive (6th gear) the temperature goes up fast. I have found in 5th (direct drive) the temperature stays in the 160* range.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I am talking about the NV5600 (cast iron case). The G56 is an aluminum case. I have heard that they also get hot. The next time, after a long run (hour or two), take a temperature measurement. I was surprised the first time. The rears (front and back) also run hot.

Country

I have the G56 and plan to add a temp gauge to it and the rear diff when we get our 5er. I just changed the oil in all of the running gear (30k). The tranny and rear diff came out pretty dirty, everything else was pretty clean. The G56 uses ATF+4, unlike the NV5600 that calls for gear oil. I don't know if that makes it run cooler or hotter??? I had a 2005 F350 with the 5sp torque shift auto. I installed a gauge on it and empty it would run around 180. Pulling, it would get up around 225. I never had a problem (with the tranny).... It was just everything else!:mad:

driver311

u all have work trucks that were designed to work had and take a beating. if u aren't on huge hills put it in 6th gear and hammer down, u wont hurt the transmit ion. i pull every day in overdrive with a auto and hold it in overdrive. 222000 miles still have an engine and transmit ion and no gages its a truck drive it like u stole it

driver311None None