Awning Screen Rooms

AnnR

Has anyone tried an awning screen room? I've seen them in catalogs, but I've never seen one in person or talked to anyone who's tried them. I tried the advanced search and found the awning shade panels, but not the whole room. We have a seasonal site and had a hard awning attached to our old trailer with a deck and screen room with wooden framed screen panels that popped into a track under the hard awning. It was awesome - designed and made by the previous owner of our old TT. When we bought our new TT it was much taller than the old one so nothing fit together and we had to scrap the old awning and screens, but were able to keep the deck. We have a power awning now, but I miss the privacy, bug control and extra space provided by our old screens. The awning screen rooms I've seen aren't cheap, so I'm curious to know if they are easy to use, compatible with a power awning (Dometic) and practical. Also it seems like they are long - meant to go all the way to the ground from the awning. Our deck is about 4 feet high - would I be able to trim the height of the screen room so it wasn't in a pile on the deck? Are some brands better than others? Thanks for any help - I know the mosquitos are coming!

Sandie

I have never seen a complete screen room attached to an electric awning, but I guess any things possible. I would never do it as the winds always are kicking up around here and I have to be able to get our awning up in a hurry... I don't even hang anything off of it or put lights on it. Just not worth it to me.

AnnR

I have never seen a complete screen room attached to an electric awning, but I guess any things possible. I would never do it as the winds always are kicking up around here and I have to be able to get our awning up in a hurry... I don't even hang anything off of it or put lights on it. Just not worth it to me.
That was kind of my first thought - I would hate to bend the awning arms or have the whole thing rip off in a tornado while I'm trying to unzip the thing! It looks a little heavy and awkward in the catalog and we are on a windy hill...but I was kind of tempted. Thanks Sandie for being the voice of reason! I can buy a lot of bug spray for the price of the screen room. Has anyone else ever seen one?

wilsons21157

North Trail 31QBS
We have an electric awning, the carefree 17' and I bought the carefree breezeway screen room for it. Love it. Period.

the awning is actually made with slots in it to accomodate it. you can take it down in about 10 minutes. plus, it secures to the ground with big spikes

I got it last year after seeing someone with one at a campground. we had been dealing with a portable screen room and I had an A-HA moment. got it online
for about 1/4 of the retail price :)

6304493_orig.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have an electric awning, the carefree 17' and I bought the carefree breezeway screen room for it. Love it. Period.

the awning is actually made with slots in it to accomodate it. you can take it down in about 10 minutes. plus, it secures to the ground with big spikes

I got it last year after seeing someone with one at a campground. we had been dealing with a portable screen room and I had an A-HA moment. got it online
for about 1/4 of the retail price :)

View attachment 20091

We had a screen room that attached to the manual awning on our pop-up. One of the few things I miss about that little rig. How does yours attach to the walls of the trailer and the underside of the awning? I looked at them on CW's site and it looked interesting.

wilsons21157

North Trail 31QBS
We had a screen room that attached to the manual awning on our pop-up. One of the few things I miss about that little rig. How does yours attach to the walls of the trailer and the underside of the awning? I looked at them on CW's site and it looked interesting.

The awning comes in 5 panels. front, side (r) , side (l), skirting (a) and skirting (b)

the front panel has a screen door that can be located on either end. this way, you can move the door if you need to. It slides into the track that had the valance in it. I had to take the valance out.

the sides (r & l) have 3 positions of height, selectable based on your preference of the pitch of the awning/side arms. The sides have poles that twist lock for length and they slide through the appropriate 'pocket' in the panel. One end of the pole has a 90 degree bend in it and it goes into a bracket mounted to the side of the trailer, under the awning. The other end of the pole goes into the thing the awning fabric attaches to...the head or roller (???) into a hole I had to drill. On the trailer side, the panel attaches to these twist-lock fasteners, like they use on sailboats. I had to drill holes in the side of the camper , install the screws and silicone the backside of the whole thing....

on the panels, one side has a zipper, the other has a flap that has the female half of the fastener system. the female half goes over the fastener and then the part on the camper twists over it.

there are also two panels, one short & one long that cover the wheel well and go along the skirting to keep the bugs out.

screenroom.jpgpardon the awful artistry, just tried to give a visual diagram to go with my description above

AnnR

Thanks so much for your reply and picture. My awning is a little different, but from your drawing it looks like it would still work. If it only takes 10 minutes that shouldn't be a problem with weather, and it looks a little lighter/airier than the one I saw in the catalog - should be fine with the awning arms and still allow a nice breeze. Thanks for sharing the info! This really is the best owners' forum.