Mount St Helens

Bksvo

Is it feasible to drive my Cyclone up to the Johnson Observatory at Mt St Helens? It appears they have RV parking there. I want to see it, but we only have a few hours to stop along the way.

Paul & Nan

Guess you could, but we would not. Find a place to drop it and enjoy the views. You could spend a day, at least just seeing that sight. This is from one no longer living there, but who whas there when she blew. I was planning a cross country ski trip on the mountain the weekend she blew. We were there, again, 3 years ago, wow, something else.

jdfishing

There is limited RV parking at the observatory and most of the rigs I saw were pull trailers in the mid 20' range. There are several gas stations just off I-5 at Toutle River that have large parking areas. I would ask if I could drop it for a few hours and enjoy the ride.

wdk450

I went there last summer, but stayed at the local RV park 2 days. As I remember the road I think you could do this O.K., parking and crowds being the big question. Seems to me it was about 40 miles off I-5 to the end of the road.
Maybe the NPS has a number you can call for info.

Lance & Jo

Was there last month and yes you could take the rig that far, the road is fine and only goes up to a little over 4,000 ft and there is bus/rv parking but it will be a little tight for you. The hard part is only having a "few" hours for the trip. It will take about and hour each way if you don't stop to look at anything and at least a couple hours to take in the observatory. I suggest you stop at Silver Lake RV park, it's about 8 miles from I5 and has a large parking lot. The owners are real friendly and I'm sure you can work out something to leave the trailer there. You might think about overnighting also, it was only about $28/night last month and they have a great view of the lake.

Bksvo

I ended up changing our planning a bit. We'll be overnighting at Silver Lake. Thanks for the suggestion!