What can tow a 2013 37 Ultimate?

MY wife and I just purchased a 37 Ultimate. We're excited because it fits the needs of our family nicely; however, I'm having a hard time finding a non-semi vehicle that will be able to tow this sucker.

Do any owners or Heartland personnel have any vehicles in mind (2000 - 2012) that can take on the 15,500 lbs and still be under the gross combined vehicle weight? It's hard enough to find the GCVW for older model trucks; so if someone's done more leg work than me, I'd much appreciate some guidance!

I've been looking at older model (2000-2003) diesel one-ton duallies. Do we need something bigger? Newer? Does anyone have a 37 Ulta - if so, what do you use?

We will be traveling extensively over the next few years, so we need a strong, reliable truck that can give us 150k-200k without too much trouble. Suggestions?

Thanks all!

jimtoo

Hi rhuntpalmer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some suggestions soon. I have a 3055RL BigHorn .. tow with a GMC 04, 1ton, dually. I am very happy with the performance.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jtaylor

Any of the big three should have a rig that will pull your trailer but you're definitely in need of a dual wheel truck to give you enough capacity. For instance I've got a 2008 Ford F350 single rear wheel truck, couldn't pull your rig. In looking at the ford towing guide my maximum 5th wheel towing weight is 15,200lbs but the dual rear wheel truck from that year has a capacity of 17,800lbs with the 4.30LS axle. I'd suggest you do a google search for the towing guides of your preferred manufacturer and year of the truck you're thinking about and as you're about to make the purchase check back here as I'm sure the members will have some more insight. One other thing to keep in mind is a dealer will more than likely tell you the truck can handle your rig with no problems but check the towing guide yourself. There is no doubt in my mind that my truck could pull a very heavy trailer, but it wouldn't be safe for my family or fellow travelers.

John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Any of the big 3 2011 or newer have the capacity to haul that much weight "legally". Key word.

m455sx

I have a 36qbck elkridge in which 1 ft shorter than yours and i believe just few hundred pounds lighter with a golf cart on swivel wheel in tow. I have GMC 2500 HD Crewcab 4wd with 8.1 l gas motor and it tows just fine. I have had no problems at all. But i would feel better if i had a dually just for the added safety.