triple towing with tow dolly

WANDRR

Right now I am triple towing a 28' 5th wheel and a 12' cargo trailer. The ride in the cargo trailer is very jerky with the physics of having the ball hitch connected to the back of the camper. I would like to use a tow dolly behind the camper with the cargo trailer attached to the dolly, essentially turning the cargo trailer into a wagon and eliminating the up/down forces on the hitch of the camper and cargo trailer.
Any ideas on this or comments concerning laws. I have seen a tow dolly used by a 5th wheel attached to the back of a truck.

Tombstonejim

I think it would work. However, I don't know of any laws that really address this and I bet that every LEO that sees it is going to to self appoint himself the lawmaker and you will get all kinds of grief.

If the trailer is a single axel I think going to double axel would help a lot.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tow Dollies have no suspension and will probably cause a worse ride to your cargo trailer. When a vehicle is on a tow dolly, it's suspension and weight helps the ride. The light tongue weight of the cargo trailer would allow the dollies tires to really get bouncy. JMHO

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I noticed the title of this thread is triple towing. I always thought triple towing was towing 3 trailers. Towing a 5er with 1 trailer behind would be double (2 trailers) towing. Most states it is illegal to triple tow.