Water heater by-pass valve diagram needed

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I had same work done by the dealer a while back on BH. I had a small leak (loose pex fittings that they replaced with hose clanmps, that's another story) and they fixed it under warrenty, now I have found that the bypass valves are not plumbed correctly. They have hoses reversed some where and I think it is on the top valve. With 3 hoses on the valve, I figure before I start tearing it apart, I would find a plumbing diagram on how it is suppose to be plumbed. They are the stock 2 valve setup in the ODC. I have the PEX tool and clamps, I just don't want to go in blind.

Just FYI, I pull the anode rod, and drain the water heater, then turn the two valves and blow the lines out. out. I figured the valve setting by trial and error, but now I want it corrected in case someone else has to winterize the system.

brianharrison

2011 Landmark UDC.jpg

When looking at the upper valve from this front view, bottom hose is cold pressure feed, to the hot water heater inlet is on the right, and the connection after the hot water heater (ie bypass) is on the left.

When looking at the lower valve from this front view, bottom hose is the pump suction, from the fresh water tank is on the right, and the winter antifreeze hose suction is on the left.

Hope this helps.
Brian

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I'm going to assume that you are talking about the plumbing behind the heater on your 2009 BH to isolate the heater when you are all set to winterize. This consists of three in line ball valves. I have a diagram of them here: //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18573&d=1333815587

BTW - the Water heater would be at the bottom of the diagram ... so in summer the water would flow through the WH and in winter mode it will bypass the WH allowing you to drain the WH and remove the Anoid Rod

Kevin

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Thanks Brian for for the information. I'll try to get to it this weekend, but if it stays in the 100's, I think it can wait, I've got until late fall.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Kevin, mine has the 2 valve system like what Brian has in his picture. It was too darn hot to get into it these last weekend, I didn't want to have to empty the bay to get the wall down. But still thanks for the response.