Bad A/C, Bad

usnthedog

100 degrees in Nebraska and the A/C holds a pleasant 90 degrees inside. Did some checking and measuring and here are the results. Ambient 93, inside 81, air from A/C 62. I checked the post on the 'tent' and that really doesn't appy although I did remove the cover and built a chute to the same effect. Two concerns I have: is a 20 degree drop from in to out sufficient or do I have a 'freon' problem and the distance betwee the squirrel cage and the shroud is about 5/8" .

Airconditioner.jpg

The duct for the remote ducts is 8- 1/2" wide and 1"-1-1/4" deep; 6 or so round vents on it. Right now I have this bypassed and yesterday I flushed out the coils It's a dometic in a greystone 32RE. Just out of warrenty( 0f course). I have shields on the 'late sun' windows. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of a mobile A/C service that goes to Syracuse, Ne, south of Omaha or a good place to haul it as a last result? My work schedule makes it difficult to drag it to a dealer but I'll do what I can. (Porhase in syracuse does not)

Last year, the first year, I don't remember this much trouble so I lean to a recharge, but....

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Not sure if you have a problem or not, but a single AC unit will not keep a Greystone32 cool in 100 degree weather. When we had our Sundance, the best we could get down to when it was over 100 was 87 degrees. The best fix is a second AC unit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There are no ports to add freon to these units, we found this out at the Rally in Gillette from the Dometic rep.

danemayer

100 degrees in Nebraska and the A/C holds a pleasant 90 degrees inside. Did some checking and measuring and here are the results. Ambient 93, inside 81, air from A/C 62. I checked the post on the 'tent' and that really doesn't appy although I did remove the cover and built a chute to the same effect. .

usnthedog,

At the Gillette Rally, the Dometic rep said that they look for about 18-20 degree differential from air temp at the blower, and air temp at the far end of the room. 81-62 = 19 degree differential - so you're right on target.

Differential to outside air involves a lot of factors including windows, direct sun, insulation values, and other things.

Using both A/Cs on high, our outside thermometer (under the pinbox, out of the sun) is reading 103.6. Inside rear corner is 78.8. That's about 24 degrees and it's the best I've ever seen on our rig. I lowered the thermostat early this morning to get ahead of the heat.

This is on a 39' Rushmore with the TimK Tent Mod. I've also put paper in the bedroom and bathroom vents to block them. I've got the front bedroom A/C running on High and the living room thermostat set to 66 so it doesn't get confused by cold air from the bedroom A/C.

In addition to the front A/C, we have dual pane windows, and may have heavier insulation than your rig. So I'm not sure what you ought to expect, except that it will be warmer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are in Amarillo, TX with no trees, cement slab and gravel all around. ACs both running all day, as outside temp 100+, but luckily lower humidity (around 10%). We have a Vornado mid-size fan, it sits on the floor and supposed to circulate air in the entire room. We typically use the fan in the bedroom at night. Today I started the fan in the living room about 9AM, on the floor, pointing about a 45% angle. It has really helped! The overall temp is comfortable, and I can feel cool air circulating. The bedroom seems to be doing OK with just the 2nd AC unit running.

P.S. We don't have dual pane windows.

Sandie

We have our bedroom a/c running on high with an oscillating fan blowing cooler air to the lower level along with our main one going and between the hottest hours of the day it cools enough to be comfortable but it's now 109 outside. YIKES!!!!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Not sure if you have a problem or not, but a single AC unit will not keep a Greystone32 cool in 100 degree weather. When we had our Sundance, the best we could get down to when it was over 100 was 87 degrees. The best fix is a second AC unit.

I have to agree. We put the second AC in our Sundance as well and it was very nice. It actually cooled better than our new BH.

Rickhansen

There are no ports to add freon to these units, we found this out at the Rally in Gillette from the Dometic rep.

That is true, but an A/C tech can check pressures and add freon if necessary with a line piercing kit. Same as a refrigerator.

usnthedog

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if that's the answer I want, but it's comforting to know I suffer equally. I had the rig last year in Iowa and we had near the same temps and I don't remember this situation but I has some trees to shade in the late afternoon. Here I have none 'till she's almost to the horizon. I guess it makes a difference.

Jeff

Crumgater

We use our rig to go to cool places in the summer... up in the mountains is very nice in August - mid 80's during the 'heat' of the afternoon, with plenty of shade options.

Of course, coming from Seattle... staying home is normally the cooler option. We're looking forward to getting UP to 75F on Thursday for the first time in months. We MIGHT hit low 80's by the weekend. Summer may have finally arrived here in the Pacific NW.

You should all come visit and cool off!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We use our rig to go to cool places in the summer... up in the mountains is very nice in August - mid 80's during the 'heat' of the afternoon, with plenty of shade options.

Of course, coming from Seattle... staying home is normally the cooler option. We're looking forward to getting UP to 75F on Thursday for the first time in months. We MIGHT hit low 80's by the weekend. Summer may have finally arrived here in the Pacific NW.

You should all come visit and cool off!

Man I'd love to come up there. It was 101 today here in Oklahoma. 10 more days and we leave for Michigan for the summer. I'm ready to go now but DW and her work thing.

wdk450

I spent the Weekend (We. - Sat) at Hat Creek in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Snow covered Mt. Lassen 20 miles to the South, snow covered Mt. Shasta 30 miles to the North. Temps in the high 80's.

Jimalberta

I'll just add my 2 cents here as I have been a refrigeration tech for 44 years just retired in June. What we generally try to accomplish with A/C's is a drop of 20 degrees across the evaporator ( the indoor coil ) so measure the return air versus the air discharge and you should get approx 20 degrees of cooling. That is pretty much what you can get out of an air conditioner. If you are not getting the 20 degrees of cooling firstly check your condensor and see if it is dirty. This requires going up on the roof and removing the plastic cover from the unit. Then check the coil that you will see with a fan blade next to it. Inspect this and make sure that it is clean. You can use a vac or some water from a hose ( not a pressure washer ) to remove any lint, cotton fluff or plain old dirt from the condensor. The cleaner it is the better. Also make sure that the fan blades are clean,they move more air when they are clean. This should be done on an annual basis as it is over heating of the compressor and the resulting breakdown of the oils in the system that contribute the most to compressor failure.
stay cool
Jim

ihsolutions

Good info, Jim.

There are few times in our BH that our single A/C is inadequate. This past weekend was one of them. Fortunately we like it cold for sleeping so my unit runs pretty much 24/7, which results in a cold trailer in the morning to get ahead of the heat.

I have found that it is beneficial to bring in my ODS slideouts when the sun is on that side of the coach. I have three slides on that side, and you can feel heat on the floor, which means loss of cold air! When we are going to leave the RV for the day and it's hot out, I do this.. it makes a big difference, and worth the minor inconvenience of moving a couple things around so the slides don't hit them.