a/c issues

MaYoKy

with the extreme heat coming through kentucky this week and already hot temps inside while outside temps where in the lower 90s (now 105 today) we decided yesterday we needed relief and bought a portable 12000 BTU A/c after installing it worked all fine all night and for the first time in weeks we were able to sleep at a comfy 65 degrees. Now today (friday) and the campground filling up all the sudden the switch on the hook up outside keeps tripping like every 30 min to an hour... s it because more people are here for the weekend or why all the sudden is it not working anymore? like i said for like 15 hours last night til like 2pm today it worked with no problem.... we have a big country 3595 with one roof a/c and now one portable and are hooked into a 50 amp outlet.. since the rv is pre wired for 2 roof a/c units i don't think it should have a problem running a lower portable... :mad:

FlyerChief

I don't think your problem is with your rig. Your problem is that, as you said, the park is filling up and the campground's electrical system is struggling with the load. Even the power company sometimes can't keep up when there are extreme temps.

MaYoKy

thank you for your quick answer... I was worried this was the issue.... LOL... oh well... can't wait for monday!

jnbhobe

You may be tripping the breaker because your add on AC may be hooked to the same side of the service as your main AC and you are drawing too many amps on one half of your service.

danemayer

How is the Portable Unit powered? Outlet in the RV? Extension cord to an outlet on the campground pedestal?

The prewired front A/C would go through a dedicated 20 Amp circuit breaker that's part of your 50 amp wiring. If your Portable Unit is plugged in to one of the outlets in your rig, there may be other things on that circuit.

MaYoKy

we talked to a park and the hook up post had a bad fuse so they exchanged it and everything is running for now... we have it plugged into the outlet that is meant for the washer / dryer.... i figured that would be the best plug.... not sure though i don't know much about electric :) thanks f0r all the help

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a similar problem last year at a park. Couldn't run the 2nd AC because the park was full, everyone running 2 ACs, and our EMS kept shutting off our power (probably low voltage).

hoefler

I would monitor the incoming voltage. There may be excessive voltage drop causing a high amp draw, thus tripping the breaker. Low voltage will kill any electric motor.

MaYoKy

How did you install the second A/C? Was it ducted or a window unit?

Thanks
Jeff

its a portable one, vented through a window. it worked fine all night again running both a/cs but we will get an extension cord today and plug it into the outside hook up pole! it seems to be a park issue though.... with extreme temperatures and too many people running two a/cs