Onan 5500 or [insert other model]?

2TrakR

Just brought our new-to-us Cyclone 3950 home. It has generator prep but no generator. We dry camp a lot, so a gen is pretty important.
From what I've read, the Onan 5500 "gold" unit is what is supposed to be the factory option.
Are there are models/brands that will fit and "work" in there with all of the remote start and related hookups?

Any recommendations on best place to find the best price?

From my research, the Generac quietpact 5500 should be a "drop in" replacement and it's a bit cheaper:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200353020_200353020

Last edited:

trvlrerik

I know that retail price for the Onan 5500 can get as high as 4k but can be had for 3100 new if you look around. Does your rig have a steel box built inside of the storage area for the genset to sit in, if not it will need to be installed to keep CO2 from getting into the interior, and act as a heat sheild.

You can get a portable unit and use it as a stand alone for a lot less money, but a 5500 watt generator is heavy, often over 250lbs, so it is not as convenient.

I am in the process of installing a 3500watt generator in my Cyclone 3912. It will not run everything, just single appliances at a time. I am using a portable ETQ 3500 that is 17" X 17.5" X 23.5" and it fits very easily in the factory supplied steel box. I will not be running the genset inside of the compartment untill I am able to do a long term test in variable conditions to make sure heat and CO2 are not issues, untill then I will leave the generator in the bed of my truck while towing (to run the a/c in route).
At the camp area, I will run it under the nose of the fifth wheel.

The make and model are ETQ 3500 PG 30P11, this model has 29 amps of contstant power using the single 30 amp plug supplied on the unit. You do need to be careful to check that any genset does have a 30 amp 120v plug in as many units only come wired with 120/240 volt plugs making the connections to RVs problematic at best, damaging and dangerous at worst. RV hook ups are different from residential hook ups.

If in doubt check before hooking up any generator to an RV with a reputable electrician or RV dealership.

2TrakR

Thanks, Erik. Looks like the 5500 you had for sale is sold, bad timing on my part. This rig has full gen prep including the steel enclosed box, holes out the bottom, wires tied up, switches inside (not sure on all of the details, but that's what I've noticed while doing a quick poke-around). Our previous motorhome had an Onan 4500 onboard to run everything, which is super nice to be able to flip on both AC plus the microwave without worrying about what's "too much".

porthole

Retired
have a steel box built inside of the storage area for the genset to sit in

if not it will need to be installed to keep CO2 from getting into the interior, and act as a heat sheild.

I am using a portable ETQ 3500 that is 17" X 17.5" X 23.5" and it fits very easily in the factory supplied steel box. I will not be running the genset inside of the compartment untill I am able to do a long term test in variable conditions to make sure heat and CO2 are not issues

it is CO that you need to be concerned with, not CO2.

The factory installed genny box is a heat shield (and some sound deadening) and has nothing to do with CO mitigation.

A portable genny is not designed to run in an enclosed cabinet.

If you decide to run it under the nose keep aware that you can get CO leakage through the bedroom slide. That is even an issue with the factory installed genny.

I would recommend a separate CO detector in the bedroom if running a genny.

Is your portable unit quiet?

After spending 6 d,ays at a NASCAR track, I can see why overnight genny use is not allowed. Although that didn't stop the folks with the $300-$500 rattle traps from running all night.

trvlrerik

The "floor" of my generator boxed in area is 90% open when I yanked out the Onan unit, I am going to put an expanded metal floor and small vent in the outer door of the compartment. I have a small 12 volt automotive radiator fan that will bring in fresh air, forcing out the heated air out the bottom of the enclosed space. I am building a 1 1/2" exhaust tube to run the fumes out to the side of the camper (like the origional system, just larger pipe).

The generator is listed at 68 decibles, for comparison it is much quieter than my lawn mower. The only times we have ever used a generator is en route while traveling to keep the animals in the trailer cool, or if I need to run my compressor. I know how I would feel about listening to a neighbors generator, so I do not run mine when it would impact anothers.

I had not thought about the additional CO detector, good idea! thanks