NT too low - Taller tires?

danemayer

Re: trailer too low

Hi Daynawide,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I see you joined a few months ago and this is your first post. You've probably already found that there's a lot of useful information on the forum. There are also a lot of friendly people with experience and knowledge they're willing to share.

I'm sure another North Trail owner will jump in to answer your question before too long.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Simple way to find out. Find 2 good 15" wheels and tires an install them on one side. This way you will know if you have clearance between the 2 tires. For example...your 14" tires 30" tall....a 15" is 33" tall. The 15" tires will be a total of 3" (1 1/2") per tire closer together. If you have 4-5" of clearance now you should be good to go. Just make sure you look over the top of the tire to make sure it wont hit something on the bottom of the trailer with full axle movement upwards. Best I can tell you. A good rule of thumb. For every inch of diameter you only gain 1/2" in height or width.

ZNK

With the wide trax suspension in the NT you will not have a problem with the tires rubbing. It will be a height issue. You definitely dont want the trailer rubbing on the tires.

pegmikef

would changing 14 inch tires to 15 help .i know you have to replace the rims also.

What model NT do you have? I have the 26LRSS and it came with 15 inch tires. I am kind of surprised that different models would have different sizes.

APT

The shallow slide models get 14" tires, and lower ride height - s step entry vs. 3 for deep slide models. I can appreciate the usefulness of raising the lower trailers like mine.

All you need is larger diameter tires that fit on the rims. I don't know the size of the originals, but you can use this calculator to determine how much larger tires will affect the height radius difference). You do need to ensure you have enough clearance to prevent rubbing the tires on the TT, though. You may wish to use a tire sales web site such as Tirerack to determine tire available by size.