AC electrical problem

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
I live in Ohio and we will be out of power for a week. Figured I would bring my 2008 3670 Bighorn home and camp out. I started the AC and it keeps throwing the main breaker. Any ideas? We are in a state of emergency due to the storms.

danemayer

Hi Bill and Sallie,

Could you provide a bit more info: what generator are you using? Which breaker is tripping - main 50A in the trailer, or one on the generator - but not the A/C breaker?

bighorn3370

Hi, Govervn, What size generator are you using? My guess is it does not have watts to run your a/c. Ernie

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
The main 50 amp in the trailer is the one tripping. I am using 2 Honda 2000 in parallel? The AC breaker is not tripping

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK, you have 4K watts.....but what else are you trying to run at the same time? Our convection/micro wave with almost shut down our 3K watt genset. How are you hooked up the coach? Small diameter extension cords wont do the job. They draw way tooo many watts/amps and when they get hot, they will shut down and trip a breaker. If you use the wrong plugs...you will be only feeding one side of the coaches breaker panel. Just all food for thought.

jnbhobe

The main 50 amp in the trailer is the one tripping. I am using 2 Honda 2000 in parallel? The AC breaker is not tripping

Have you used this system before ?? Are you sure its wired right ?? Is something else turned on like electric hot water tank or fire place or electric heater some where. Sounds like your overloading on side of your service maybe.

danemayer

I saw this thread a few months ago regarding Honda Generators and floating neutral. Most of the discussion is about the Surge Protector/EMS not allowing the generator output to pass. I can't find it, but I also recall a thread detailing wiring issues involving ground and/or neutral when using 2 Honda generators.

Can you try running on a single generator - 1 A/C unit and careful use of other appliances.

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
Thanks. I only have the refridgerator running with it. Using the 50amp cable Stepped down to a 30 amp all large wire and that is directly into the generator.

danemayer

Bill, I don't remember this exactly, but I think a prior thread identified some unusual aspect of the 2 Honda Generators running in parallel. That's why I was suggesting trying things on just one generator.

hoefler

I have no experience running 2 generators in parallel, but I am guessing the7 will produce 220 volts when running together. When adapted down to 30 amp service, you are changing the service required for your coach from 50 amp 220 volts to 30 amp 110 volts. Just a guess, I don't know enough about that setup.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I run two 2k gennys paralleled. The result is 4k watts, 120 volts.
The parallel kit provides a 30 amp receptacle.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

porthole

Retired
I have no experience running 2 generators in parallel, but I am guessing the will produce 220 volts when running together. When adapted down to 30 amp service, you are changing the service required for your coach from 50 amp 220 volts to 30 amp 110 volts. Just a guess, I don't know enough about that setup.

The Honda's that he is using was made for the RV'r and tailgater.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability

So, he is getting 120 volts at 30 amp capability (2 gensets @ 2000 watts, 4000 / 120 = 33 amps).

Since we can't get 50 amps from a 30 amp breaker it sounds like something else is going on.

To the OP, some of the trailers do not have well balanced load panels (too many high draw items on one side of the panel box)
My suggestion would be to turn off all the breakers except the main air unit and try again.

Then, get the generators running, turn on just the Air conditioner fan and see what it does.
Then set it to cool, all the while listening to the generators. The Honda's will have a noticeable change in pitch and noise level under a load.

What happens? Still tripping the trialers main 50 amp brekaer? Maybe the breaker is bad. Would be the easiest and cheapest item to swap out for now.

If you are out of power for a week due to the storms, has FEMA shown up yet? Are they in the area? They tend to have tractor trailers full of Genny's available.