3950 Storage under master bed

zigzag3337

We now have the Cyclone 3950 HD Toy Hauler. Despite this thing being huge, there isn't a lot of storage in the coach unless you count the garage. One of the places we miss compared to our old camper is the area under the master bed. I unscrewed the plywood thinking that it was screwed down during shipping, but I was wrong.

Has anyone attempted to make this area into a storage area? I know it's going to take some fabrication by adding a false floor and some hinges. If you have already done this, can you post some pics and give your dos and don't of the mod...

Thanks in advance for any help.

porthole

Retired
The first thing you need to do is add something like stick on floor tiles, it will allow the mattress to slide around.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=123816&viewfull=1#post123816

Here is the start of what I did.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=186203&viewfull=1#post186203

When I finally got around to finishing this, it was because I had left something under the bed on top of the rails that fell off while traveling.
When I opened the slide the item jammed between the floor and the bed framing. That ripped the frame apart and required some repairs. That is why there are those 1' x 1' gusset plates screwed in.

The new storage section is only about 4" deep, but it is better then the wasted space.
The struts I am using are not strong enough to hold up the bed (and I think they are on the wrong angle), so there is a plywood pocket you can just see on the one picture (at the foot of the bed) and a cleat on the mattress platform (same picture near the top of photo). There is alos a 1/2" strip of plywood glued to one of birch pieces so that that both sections sit level.

What is hard to see in the photos; I used 3/4" plywood set inside the 2x3 framing and glued to the outer 1/4" finished panels. These are cut so that the 1/4" birch plywood rests on top of the steel frames for the slide out and the plywood cleats.
Since I had to cut the 1/4" birch section in half just to get it inside the frame, I also added the cleat you see at the foot of the bed. That is also the pocket for the wood dowel (old flagpole actually)

If you try this I would suggest removing the mattress (out of the bedroom) and after you remove the mattress support panels have someone operate the bedroom slide so you can see how it works.

I have thought about cutting into the panel that would be facing the front of the trailer and boxing in that void behind it for a hidden storage compartment (firearm etc).
But now that it is back together I just don't feel like taking it all part again. At one point I did have the whole bed frame in my driveway re-building it from my oops.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at your photos, Duane, you could put some baskets or plastic boxes between the framing for the piston, on either side. That area isn't going to move with the slide and the slide travel stops before it reaches that area when you retract it.

My bedroom slide hydraulic mount is a bit different since it's off to one side of the bed, not centered. So I cut the luan panel along one side and put a large tote in the space. It slides along on the carpet with the bed when the slide moves, and I still have most of the shallow storage over the hydraulics for jackets or whatever.

porthole

Retired
Too hard to get the 1/4" panels out. They are a "tight" fit.
And after having the bed frame blow apart one time, I will make sure that doesn't happen again :cool:

JohnDar

Too hard to get the 1/4" panels out. They are a "tight" fit.
And after having the bed frame blow apart one time, I will make sure that doesn't happen again :cool:

So was mine until it learned what a Milwaukee 6266 with a Bosch blade was all about. I hold the remainder in place with a two wood screws so it can't slide around.

zigzag3337

Thanks for the input. I do like the tiles up on top of the plywood. It looks like I'm going to start looking in the bargain section at my local depot store. We have a few trips planned in the upcoming weeks, so as soon as I can, this storage mod is on my list of to dos. Maybe I can get some brownie points from the misses if I can get her storage back....hehe

JohnDar

Thanks for the input. I do like the tiles up on top of the plywood. It looks like I'm going to start looking in the bargain section at my local depot store. We have a few trips planned in the upcoming weeks, so as soon as I can, this storage mod is on my list of to dos. Maybe I can get some brownie points from the misses if I can get her storage back....hehe

Make sure you vacuum the platform thoroughly and apply a primer/sealer to it before putting down self-stick tiles. The big box stores sell a structural foam corner trim with a wood grain on it that dresses the edges nicely to prevent slivers. You can attach it to the tile using strips of double-sided carpet tape. Attach the tape to the inside face of the trim and press in place.
View attachment 20148

zigzag3337

Thanks for the tip John.
I'm assuming the reason for the tiles is so the mattress will slide easier? I do like the trim around the edge, I think I have scratched my leg on that plywood a couple of times already.

JohnDar

Thanks for the tip John.
I'm assuming the reason for the tiles is so the mattress will slide easier? I do like the trim around the edge, I think I have scratched my leg on that plywood a couple of times already.

Yes, the tiles are to make it much easier to slide the mattress around to get the sheets on. Even a plastic tarp (stapled) to the platform is a help. That chipboard is so rough even water won't run off it when held vertical.