ANTENNA Winegard RS-1500 on MPG 181

I am having trouble with my antenna. The booster light goes out when the antenna cable is connected to the proper connection at the power switch. Looks like the cables were never installed correctly and this is why I was not able to get digital broadcast channels. Any ideas as I am traveling for the summer and I do not want to waist time at the RV repair for this minor issue?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I am having trouble with my antenna. The booster light goes out when the antenna cable is connected to the proper connection at the power switch. Looks like the cables were never installed correctly and this is why I was not able to get digital broadcast channels. Any ideas as I am traveling for the summer and I do not want to waist time at the RV repair for this minor issue?
2ndwind, Head to the Winegard website and look for the manuals/installation guide for your specific antenna. It's easy to pull the wall plate to verify correct cabling. I suspect one of the coax cables a bad splice connection. You'll need a basic ohm meter.
On edit, here's your PDF

Attachments

• 2451233.pdf
    253.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

jbeletti

Sounds like a short circuit between that wall plate and the antenna. Time to check the connectors as Ray mentions. There's the connector at the wall plate, the connector at the antenna and there are 2 connectors and a splice in the antenna base.

That said, is it possible that the wire you think goes to the antenna, actually is an output lead and is going to a TV. The TV will look like a short circuit.

I troubleshot an antenna issue in a campground for a Heartlander once and when we felt sure it was the wall plate, in the end, the cables were actually reversed and we were feeding power from the plate, into the LR TV set instead of the antenna. I then used a toner and toned out and marked all the lines. Reconnected everything and all was good.

Thanks all... I did go to the web and I downloaded both the RS-1500 and the power switch. Looks like the short is in the cable from the top. Plan to repair myself if I have time. On vacation in Bend Oregon and TV is not high on the list of things to do.
Thanks again - Our2ndwind

jbeletti

To begin the "topside" repair, start by inspecting the connector at the antenna head. Then, back inside, carefully remove the crank handle and handle base assembly. Up in there, look for the coax and the spice. Pull the wiring down into the room if you can. If not, you may have to remove the entire antenna assembly from the topside.

danemayer

When on the roof, try pushing the cable down into the RV 2 or 3 inches. Then when inside looking into the ceiling for the splice, you are more likely to be able to reach in and pull it down.

Tumblebug

On my MPG 183, the coax was not crimp to the amplifier box and had fallen off. Thats where I would start at the outlet.

Tumblebug

Link to another thread.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27410-ATF-MPG-TV-Omni-antenna-MPG-183?highlight=tumblebug