Generic Closet Door Locks, Junk!!!!

caokgafamily

Has any body come up with a better lock for the sliding glass closet doors.
I've adjusted them and also replaced them after they broke. I think I had the same type on a Cardinal I use to own. I think they are pretty much generic, I bought some no name replacements at camping world. They will probablly break in a couple of months.Maybe Heartland can come up with better lock.

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I had one of those break on me too. I also bought some extras to carry along. After thinking about it for awhile I decided to get something else to carry in case, I bought a lock like what the jewelers use on their glass display cabinets. If I can find a picture I will post it for you to see. Anyway, so far so good with my first replacement plastic door catch as it has not broken yet.

Later all,

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 68

cjbearden

Visitor
No more scarred arms!

After my second arm scrape and raising a ruckus, we decided to totally remove the plastic latch on the right side of the closet. MY DH cut a piece of 1" dowel to fit in the track of the door. No more worries about arm scrapes and scarring. I have wrapped a piece of thin foam around the end of the dowel that touches the left door post when the door is closed. We just use the door jam when the unit is in transit. Same thing people do with sliding glass doors in houses for security purposes.

Hope this helps other ladies with similar scrapes!

CJ

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
jdwigley said:
...We just use the door jam when the unit is in transit. Same thing people do with sliding glass doors in houses for security purposes...
CJ

The only thing that would concern me is that the only device keeping this from jumping off the upper track is at the bottom of the door whereas the latches at least equalize the motion. Maybe Michigan roads are just rougher than most states.

Chuck

ct0218

The roads in Michigan don't help. The roughest road I have ever encountered was in SE Michigan--SR 151--Samaria Rd. My doors slide into a clear plastic catch on each side. The only time it has opened during travel was on Samaria Rd.

Uncle Rog

I moved mine up to the top of the jamb so that they are pretty much out of the way, no more cut up arms.

madigand

I drilled a hole at the bottom of the door guide and slipped in a clevis pin. I painted the ring red to remind me to remove it

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We're robably going to try those spring loaded expansion shower rods and see if that works. Everytime I go in the closet I rip my arm up, they are sharp as well..../Doug

phranc

Broke another clip last weekend .. Seems like the dowel rod is a easy fix till I can get to Campers World to get another clip.. Uncle Rog, putting the clip at the top is a real fine idea..

jimtoo

One of the first things we did is remove those sharp plastic arm cutters. Learned our lesson from the first Bighorn we had. I cut a 1X4 just a couple of inches longer than the opening when both doors are to one side and let the board just kinda jam them open. When not traveling it just lays on the floor in the closet. It has not failed us yet and if you want rough roads, try Hwy 69 & 75 in Oklahoma. I think it will equal anything Lousiana has to offer and La's got some rough roads.

jwb187

I junked the original equipment catches and replaced with commercial grade velcro....about a 3 inch strip on the door and one on the frame....has held for over a month now and easily unhooked. jwb