Torque 261 - F150 Enough?

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I posed this question for a person in our chapter, I suggest that you go to the heartlandrvs.com website. click on the torque picture when it loads the will be a picture link open up on the right. click on that and enter your truck specs, it will give you the towing capacity for your truck. I think the torque is 14000lbs, I don't think a half ton can do the trick.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I am all wet, I was looking at the wrong trailer, the one you are looking at is about 9000 gvw, it would now depend if your ford has the power??? with a 5.4, it does not have the turbo and it has very high gears for towing, I would suggest you have at least 3:73 gears or you will be pulling in 3 and fourth gear. Do you have air bags on the truck?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Many times someone will post similar questions and we seldom hear from them again because we've given them an opinion that they didn't want to hear. I'd suggest you and the wife pack up the kids and head to a CAT scale with your truck. It's only $7 or $8 to weigh your truck. Drive up, get your weight ticket and then do the math. I'm going to guess and think you'll be a little over the Combined capacity and also the GVWR for your truck.
As Chainsaw mentioned, the 5.4 will probably never make it into final drive. Not that that's a bad thing. The RPM's will be up there.
As many have done, including myself, you can always buy the trailer and see how it goes. I had my new truck shortly afterwards.:rolleyes:

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The 261 is around 7000 lbs dry and has about 1000 lbs toung weight (keep in mind weight in garage reduces toung weight), and a 9900 GVWR.

lorax

I tow a Prowler S 27 RBS with an F 150 with 5.4 l / six speed transmission. The F 150 is rated for 11,300 lbs with the max tow package. The dry weight of the trailer is 6800 lbs and we pack for three months in the west. After 10000 miles and crossing the Rockies it has done quite well. Gets around 11 mpg on non head wind days. The truck does well on I 81 through VA with its ups and downs. I've towed a SOB lightweight trailer and it was like nothing was attached. Ford's anti sway system is excellent when towing in a cross wind a always happens between Las Cruses and Tucson. Too small a truck is dangerous as I found out one year on the Straight Creek Pass near the Eisenhower Tunnel. The brakes on my Tundra failed. The trailer brakes provided some drag so little drama associated with it but I traded the Tundra soon after.

LowBoost

OK, here we go! :D

1) Thanks for all the quick replies. I register to learn and find as much info as I can to make an objective and knowledgeable decision.
That being said, please bear my ignorance on the subject.

2) @Chainsaw: Since I have a SuperCrewCab short-bed and 3.55 gear ratio, my tow limit is 15,300. Do you mean security air bags? Yes, I have
them. Why?

3) @LeTourneau: Thanks for the suggestion. I will have the truck weighted. So… you are saying that I will not have an issue pulling the TQ261,
it is just that the F150 does not have the power to make it to final drive? (Basically bring it up to enough speed… say 60 - 70mph)

4) @Lorax: Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks you are suggesting I "should" be OK based on your experience?

5) Our truck is paid in full, so wife is not exactly happy to trade-in for a more powerful unit, BUT we might consider it if it is absolutely
necessary. Our plans are basically go out to camping, few trade shows, etc. Especially when my in-laws are in town.
What new 2012-2013 truck would you recommend to upgrade to? MPG being the best factor besides pulling capacity.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK, here we go! :D

2) @Chainsaw: Since I have a SuperCrewCab short-bed and 3.55 gear ratio, my tow limit is 15,300. Do you mean security air bags? Yes, I have
them. Why?
I think Chainsaw is referring air bags for the rear suspension.

DW_Gray

I suggest you visit the website listed in my signature below. Also read the article, "Before You Buy..."
From the info you've provided, I suspect you're truck is not big enough. Check out the website and let us know what you learned.

danemayer

2) @Chainsaw: Since I have a SuperCrewCab short-bed and 3.55 gear ratio, my tow limit is 15,300.

Lowboost, that tow limit sounds awfully high for a 150 of any description. You might want to recheck it and make sure you're looking at the towing spec for conventional towing and not 5th wheel towing or another spec like GVWR. You'll also want to check payload to make sure you don't overload the rear axles and springs.

LowBoost

Thank you all for the replies. After some discussion with the wife, we may put the project on-hold for while.

We would definitely like to make sure we have the right truck. Starting my research on 2012 or new 2013 F350 Power Stroke. Hopefully I don't need a dually.

Shame...my truck is paid :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DW_Gray

Thank you! For listening and making a wise decision. All too often others choose not to listen and unfortunately learn the hard way. Tow safely.

TimDyck

I wouldn't put the project on hold. First go to the Ford site and make sure you have all the right specs, then double check weight of the trailer you are pulling. Then talk to people who have a simular truck and pull a trailer. I work on a lot of Fords and I think the truck you want to use will do the job but your fuel milage is gonna suck big time. I own a Chevy 3500 Diesle and would sugest that if you do trade up then go with a diesle (brand is your own choice) if you are pulling a trailer a lot because you will save money on fuel in the long run. But if youare only going to be pulling occationally then the extra cost of a deisle truck may not be worthwile.

DingoDave

Hello I'm new here and just bought a 2013 TQ 261. I called & talked to the factory today to double check that my 2008 Tundra 5.7L V8 could handle the towing. I talked to one of the engineers & he assured me that the Torque's were engineered to be towed by a 1/2 ton pick up. My curb weight of my Tundra is 5345 lb. the GVWR is 7000lb. the GCWR is 16000 lb. and the towing capacity of the Tundra is 10500 lb. You can go to edmunds site or other similar sites & put in your truck & model to get the curb weight. The GVWR is on the door of your truck. And all the rest of the weights are listed in your owners manual. (or should be). I was concerned about towing also but I'm nearly 100% sure it is not a problem for my truck. The factory insured me a 1/2 ton will tow the 261. You may have to watch your loading & it wouldn't hurt to have sway control & weight distribution hitch installed.

jimtoo

Hi DingoDave,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Looks like you got good information and should be good to go. I would recommend a weight distribution hitch and sway control bar, well worth the money in my opinion.

Please think about joining the Heartland Owners Club and joining us at rallies and meet and make lots of great friends.

Enjoy the forum and your new Torque.

Jim M

DingoDave

jimtoo,

Thanks for the greeting & yes you are right about the sway control & hitch. ( I have an EZ-hitch) it is an equalizer hitch. My wife & I ride a 2008 Street glide which we will be hauling. Hopefully we will be hitting many of the big bike rallies next year. Thanks again for the invite to the club we will have to check it out. Take care!!

DD

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Congrats on your recent purchase and welcome to the heartland family!!!

Hi - I gots me a Torque 261 and it's an awesome entry level toy hauler w/ garage!

I pull it with a 2012 F150 EcoBoost - 3.5L - Turbo - 6.5' box - 3.73 gears. Max Tow Package (11,200lbs tow capacity). Air bags on rear. WD hitch with sway control.

I take my time driving the speed limit and I can pull up any major hill in 3rd or 2nd gear doing 80km/hr - YES it's a gas guzzeler because it's NOT diesel, but it tows the weight of the Torque 261 just fine. As for going down hill, I also take my time and go slow to ensure no brake fade.

Recently through the scale, I was 9400lbs fully wet and loaded to the teets, and my little truck does just fine.

Enjoy your trailer!