Looking at a Cyclone 3800

scottyb

First post from Spicewood (west of Austin) TX. I'm looking at a 2011 Cyclone 3800 HD. I have a few questions.

My truck is a 2007 (later model) C3500, D/A, SRW. The salespeople say no problem. A good portion of my travel will be west, NM, CO, AZ, UT, ID, CA. Any thoughts

I have a Kawasaki 4010 Trans 4x4 Mule. Anybody ever hauled one of these or seen anyone haul one? I know it will fit length and width-wise, it's the height going up the ramp that I am concerned. It's too far away to haul the Mule and try it.

Do full-timers use toy-haulers? I love my toys and don't see that changing after retirement, in a few years.

Is there one hitch that's better than another? The dealer will probably install it for me unless there is a valid reason to get it done elsewhere.

Thanks for any comments.

danemayer

Hi Scottyb,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly people here who are always willing to share their knowledge and experience.

I'm sure some of our Cyclone owners will jump in shortly to answer your questions.

Fleming

I just purchased a 2013 HD3010 Cyclone toy hauler and I am pulling this with 2011 GMC 2500HD 4x4 short bed pickup. Our dealer installed a Pullrite sliding hitch rated at 18,000pd. The truck pulls it great even in the hills of VA. The next time it goes in for service I'm going to discuss installing a bigger trans pan for more capicity and extra cooling and this is a stock diesel without any mods! We plan to buy a side by side to carry but we have a full dresser Harley and a golf cart to carry vwhen we go camping.

jimtoo

Hi Fleming,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I hope you have a great time with your Cyclone and make lots of great memories.

Please think of joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending rallies and meeting other Heartland family members.

Jim M

DW_Gray

Hi Scotty,

I use my Cyclone full time and my toy is a smart fortwo. I suggest you visit the website shown in my signature below and read the article "Before You Buy..." You can tow with a SWR truck but I always recommend a dully for the big and heavy RVs like the CY3800. As for a hitch, I'm confident that B&W builds the safest. I say that because when the latch closes, it won't open own its own without pulling the lever and even with the lever locking pin removed. But no doubt, they are other good hitches available. Some hitches are built for a more comfortable tow because they use at least one air bladder and shock. On the other hand, you can get a pin box installed on the RV that does the same thing.

Tow safe.

trvlrerik

I pull my 3912 with a SRW 08 F350, but is seems like this year has been higher than average on the high wind days. A tall profile trailer is a handfull in a cross wind with a SRW. I will not tow on an interstate highway (over 55 mph) if the wind is over 25mph. Can it be done, yes, but in my opinion it is not safe enough to risk my family or others on the roadway. My next tow vehicle will be a DRW truck.

I agree with DW in regards to the B/W hitch system, it is a simple, secure set up that allows you to also easily have a "clean" bed with little problem.

scottyb

That B & W Companion looks great. I've been researching new trucks and it seems that B & W makes a Companion that matches up with Ford's factory 5th wheel prep.

TwoGypsies

We're pulling a 2011 3812 with a 2011 F350 duallie. We got it weighed at the Gillette rally and the truck is very close to its limits. The trailer came in at 18,275 lbs, a bit over the GVWR but close. We had an 800 lb motorcycle in the garage. The rig pulls and handles great, including high wind situations and mountains. We love the trailer and no doubt you will too, but a SRW would be a big stretch.

scottyb

We're pulling a 2011 3812 with a 2011 F350 duallie. We got it weighed at the Gillette rally and the truck is very close to its limits. The trailer came in at 18,275 lbs, a bit over the GVWR but close. We had an 800 lb motorcycle in the garage. The rig pulls and handles great, including high wind situations and mountains. We love the trailer and no doubt you will too, but a SRW would be a big stretch.

Yes, I'm coming to realize that I need a dually. I just purchased today, for our company, a 2012 F-550 flatbed. Amazingly it has a 19500 GVW and a 26000 Tow rating. My SRW truck is a company vehicle, for which I can use for my own personal use as well. It's just dificult to justify a dually for a every day drive vehicle, especially since 90% of my miles are empty. I'm a little torn about this. Maybe I can convince my wife to trade her Mercedes diesel SUV for a F-450, now that she's retired.:cool:

Bksvo

We pull our 3800 with an F-350 SRW. Yes, we are slightly over gross. The suspension and tires have handled it fine. I do have a TPMS to keep an eye on things. No airbags, but I may add some before next season to soften the ride a bit. It's not bad, but it could be a little better. It stops great and pulls fine. 3.73 rear.

scottyb

Looking at the 2011 C3500 6.6L SRW, it gives a rating of 17,300 for towing a 5th wheel, 13,000 for conventional. The 2007 specs didn't differentiate between the two, just said 15,300.

BTW, I am now looking at a new 4100 King. Pin weight is actually lower than the 3800. Wife says it has to have a KS bed, or I'll be sleeping on the couch. I don't understand, I sleep fine in a QS bed.

One more question, the GVWR of the trailer is based on 3 x 6000lb axles? Should you subtract the pin weight from that to determine the true GVWR, since the truck is carrying 20%? Seems like the payload could easily exceed the GVWR with a Mule or other heavy item in the garage.

porthole

Retired
If you are considering a 4100 you should be considering a DRW. That is a lot of trailer.

The GVW is based on the 3 - 6K axles. Some earlier 3 axle Cyclones used the axles and the pin to come up with 20,500 GVW (18K axles, 2500 pin)
The newest 2 axle 3010's are coming off the line with 2 - 7K axles (always had those) and a 15,500 GVW. The GVW is a 1500 pound increase from earlier models

DW_Gray

Scott, check out this thread I started and try the new formulas I'm working on. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/32160-RV-Dry-Weight-amp-Estimation-–-The-Big-Error?highlight=

I agree with Duane. Any truck less than DRW is a safety issue for any RV over 40 feet IMO. There was a guy here at the campground last week that towed his brand new 3800 with a SRW from Montana and said he was uncomfortable in the wind. He said he's going get a DRW ASAP.

Tow safely.

Bksvo

Just so you have all the information (and opinions are worth what you pay for them), We just finished towing our 3800 8k miles from AZ to WI to WA to CA and back. All kinds of weather and the most difficult grades you can muster. My wife drove half of that while I was home working. Our SRW F-350 did great. It tows like a dream compared with the same truck pulling our old 34' Terry TT. I have a TPMS and the tires all looked the same (the drive wheels had the same temps/pressures as the traler tires). My wife towed across Iowa and NE in some pretty stiff crosswinds, and thought it did fine. I don't personally think DRW is going to improve handling in wind, but I admit I don't have personal experience to back that up. Semis struggle in the wind, and they have a lot more wheels on the ground than we do, it's hard to overcome pulling all of the cross area against the wind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way advocating against a DRW. I just wouldn't not get the trailer I wanted if a DRW is out of the budget. I'm not sure when it comes time to get another truck if I'd get a dually, based on my experiences.

porthole

Retired
Short beds - long beds - also makes a difference. As to the opinions, the OP hasn't mentioned bed size and now he is looking move up from the 3800 to the 4100, which is slightly bigger. Either way, Scott is looking at trucks , not what he has now, and the trailer's GVW exceeds the trucks rating.
And not based on opinion, the DRW LB does a significantly better job then a SRW SB.

Not being part of the weight police - just have been there and done that already.

scottyb

Thank you for all comments on both sides of the SRW/DRW discussion. It looks like the 4100 has about 50 lbs more dry weight and is about 0' 9" longer than a 3800. However, the pin weight is 160 lbs less. Seems like they're a toss up for the most part. My C3500 is a LB and I am no stranger to pulling heavy loads. I was once an OTR driver, but in less than a year, I decided that it was not for me. I have been pulling goosenecks since before I had a driver's license. I will probably end up with a DRW, but will have to start out with the truck I currently have.

travisepr

I have a 2011 3800 that I tow with a SRW 2010 Ram 3500 Mega Cab. I have my cdl and have owned some type of travel trailer/fifth wheel for 20+ years. Without a doubt this is the heaviest feeling trailer I have ever dragged. Not the heaviest, but the heaviest feeling. With that being said the SRW is fine. I run 305/55/20 tires. My father swore by dual wheel trucks and I have owned both. I have never noticed a difference other than expense when it came time to buy tires. I have though always put wide tires on the single axel trucks. I also run air bags. I am fortunate to also own a 2009 Duramax 2500, I would not pull this trailer with it on a regular basis. I have in a pinch but the Chevy got 6.5 where the Dodge gets 9.5 pulling. It was a struggle with the Chevy.