Slider hitch?

capnbill

We're seriously considering an 08 Sundance 2900MK. We have a 2005 Dodge 2500 w/short bed. Of course one of the big features of the Sundance is the contoured front cap which allegedly eliminates the need for a slider hitch. I'm still a little uneasy about not having the ability to move the pin back in preparation for a tight back in campsite. The dealer says I should have no problem with a standard hitch. (Easy for him to say).
What say you. Am I just being paranoid?

Bill in SE Mo

fishn2dmax

We just purchased an 08 2900MK. I have a short bed with a non-slider hitch. I have had this trailer in some very tight forest service campgrounds in recent weeks and have never came close to having any problems with hitting my cab. I've had it at such tight angles I thought the tires would peel off their rims. I really don't think you'll need a slider with the 2900MK ( if the non-slider hitch is mounted right above the trucks rear axle or just slightly to the rear by an inch). Just make sure your hitch is not mounted forward of the center of the axle and you'll be fine with a non-slider.

Last edited:

5erWonk

Bill

I have an '08 3055 Bighorn with a non-slider hitch.....No problems...I have never come close to hitting the cab of my Dodge Ram short bed.

randes

We have an 08 2055 Bighorn and have pulled it over 6,000 miles on our trip to Alaska with a short bed F-350 PSD and a Hensley TS3 Air Hitch. We have never had any problems with tight turns. Go for it!

capnbill

Thanks for the input folks. I'm now leaning towards the non-slider.
Now I have to remove my sliding bed cover and the drop-in bedliner and have the bed sprayed (Rhino or Line-x) The dealers idea of simply cutting slots in the liner for the hitch mounting rails just doesn't cut it with me.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have a Bighorn 3670RL with a Chevy 2500 short bed. The only time we have ever used our slider hitch was to get into the RV parking space at our house. We only need it there because we have to make a 90 degree turn while not taking out the neighbor's basketball hoop and trees that are right across the narrow street from our gate. If the street were two feet wider, we wouldn't need the slider then either. Unless you plan to get into some very very tight places, you won't need a slider.

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Bill you should not have any problem. We have a 3200ES and 05 2500 dodge SB. I have a husky slider in the truck and have never slid the hitch back for the sundance. I have to almost make a 90 degree turn to get in my drive at the house and it still clears the cab.
Good Luck
Randy

lwfox002

I have a 2997BHS Sundance, 2008 model. I pull with a 97 Dodge 2500 with short bed. We have no problems. This design really works well. My hitch is a standard hitch with no slide. I am currently test driving a F350 with a long bed but am switching for the power and braking.

Good Luck,
Larry