SOLVED: No AC power at Water Heater AC Element

Roy63

I just finished putting a new element in my Suburban 10DE water heater (which works fine on Gas) made the Breaker, turned on the rocker switch at the tank but I have no power across the element, the left limit switch has 120 v but thats it Any Ideas

PhotoPete

Re: no AC at Element

I just finished putting a new element in my Suburban 10DE water heater (which works fine on Gas) made the Breaker, turned on the rocker switch at the tank but I have no power across the element, the left limit switch has 120 v but thats it Any Ideas

Might this pdf help?

apparently there is a reset button on the hi limit t stat, did you try that?

danemayer

Hi Roy63,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly and helpful people here and I'm sure several will jump in with suggestions to help you figure it out.

In the meantime I've attached a picture of the water heater 110V circuit and a couple of pages that describe repair of the water heater.

water heater electric circuit.jpg

Attachments

• Pages from RV Water_Heaters.pdf
    585.6 KB · Views: 17

Roy63

I held my Volt meter on the element while giving the the reset a wiggle and I got a reading of 108 Volts at the element so I'm thinking the Thermostat reset is hooped. My next Question is can that be changed without having to drain the tank again.

Roy63

Thank you I'm pretty sure the High limit switch is the culprit. Can that be changed without draining the tank

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: low voltage

There could be a couple of reasons.
If the park is using too much power, or if the electric provider has a problem with supply would be two reasons.
Another would be inadequate wire size feeding your trailer. This could be because of the wire size based on length of wire. Or just plain ol too small.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Some older parks do not have adequate wiring.
It's all about wires size and heavy load usage.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Even when everything is working properly, voltage always varies a bit as the power company manages demand for electricity. Brownouts, where voltage is dropped below normal levels, happen when demand for electricity exceeds supply (usually when temps climb). The power company has a choice of cutting off parts of their service area (blackout), or reducing voltage to everyone (brownout). They actually do this all the time, but until voltage drops to 104, you may not notice.

Most U.S. appliances that are labelled as 110V or 120V actually work from about 104 - 128 Volts. Voltage above or below these limits may damage the appliance.

109 Volts is fine.