Compatible Cameras for a Ford

dave10a

My F350 has a backup camera option and I think the camera on the tail gate is simply a standard color camera. Has anyone installed an after market camera on the back of the tailer and connected to the Ford cable on the tailgate for use during towing? I checked with Ford and they want $400 for another camera and they could not tell me anything about the specs. At that price I think it is worth finding an alternative after market camera which would be in the $150 price range. The Ford Camera displays on the rear view mirror with range markers and is nicely done. It would be nice to have the same capability for the trailer.

brianharrison

I have not tied an aftermarket camera into the ford wiring harness so cannot directly answer your question.

However, I have added a digital wireless camera to the rear of my 2011 Landmark and use a separate monitor in the cab of the truck. I used the same camera that is used by Heartland on the newer OEM supplied units.

I looked into a wired camera but did not want to run wires from the back of the trailer to the front. Voyager also have a newer version kit with the ability to convert digital wireless into a standard video signal to feed a standard monitor --> http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/products/camera-systems/systems-kits.html

Not in the $150 price range you seek....

Brian

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
The camera on my F-350 uses the GPS screen on the dash.. Camping World is having a sale on a wireless model, it had some good reviews. I am thinking about checking it out