Fuel Filling Painfully slow?

vbrookslv

I asked the following question in the 'Fuel System' forum first, to see if any other owners had any advice (before posting here). The responses I got indicated that I was not alone, but no solutions. I also did some searching of the forums, but didn't turn up anything that seemed related, so here goes:

I have noticed that trying to fill the fuel tank on my Cyclone 4012 is a painfully slow operation. It seems to take ~2 mins/gallon to nurse it in there, or else it spurts out at me, even on the lowest squeeze of the pump. Note that I am not even trying to set the gas pump on a notch, just that spot where I slowly squeeze the nozzle until it comes on, then back it off until right before it clicks off. And I can't do that with the nozzle inserted into the tank, it would still suds up and click off every few seconds. The only way I have found to be able to steadily fuel is to use the technique described above, along with firing the fuel at the side of the gas fill opening, and getting a whirlpool action going. This seems to allow the air to escape at a rate that keeps up with the gas going in. Am I doing something wrong here? Is everyone else just dealing with this? Or do you run to the station with big jugs, and then fill the 5er from that? Or is there some problem with mine?

Liesl_s

We have the exact same problem on our 3912. As a matter of fact, my husband said he wasn't even able to get it to go in as fast as 2 min per gallon! His rate was even slower. We would love to hear a solution. At this point we feel it is easier to just fill up our toys the old fashioned way, with gas cans.

Scott

Here's what I found out - obviously, this is not normal. What probably has happened is that the vent hose has dipped below the fill hose and created a "belly" where fuel sloshed from the tank or from the last overfill made an air lock. That vent hose needs to be completely straight, without any "dip" in it. To alleviate this, you (or your dealer) need to pull down the underbelly in that area to access the vent line. It should be running close to the fuel line and make sure that it is straight and free of any dips or fuel. This should alleviate the problem.
ST

vbrookslv

Scott,

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I will have the dealer address when I have it in again. I have it going in for some damage repair in the next week or so (as soon as y'all turn around the parts).

What I've found is that the fill entry on the outside of the RV is basically horizontal to the entry into the tank, and the gas just can't flow directly into the tank like that. I've gotten a piece of fuel hose that will fit over a gas nozzle, and opened up the fill hole on the RV, and then put the hose on the nozzle, push it into the fill hole until it reaches into the tank ( about 14") and it will fill just fine. The position of the vent on my RV made no difference, but now I can fill the tank at a regular speed, much like the truck. If the outside fill hole and cap on the RV were higher, it would probably alleviate the problem.

-JR

vbrookslv

Ok, so I am a bit late in updating this. The dealer took care of it. They said that the vent hose was a coil, and filled with gasoline.

"Yep, there's yer problem right thar!" :)

They shortened it up, and I have had no problems since.

Deepsky3539

I also had the same issue. My fill pipe had a kink in it. Basically it was too long. The factory smashed the excess in to a kink when they screwed the cover to the siding. My dealer removed the cover shortened the pipe and put it back on. Works great now.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I wonder if the fact that my tank has written on it '22' has anything to do with it... LOL

I've noticed lots of things with numbers written on them in my Cyclone. They may be the last 2 numbers of your VIN? :confused: That's just what I've discovered with mine. :)