Installed Sleep Number Bed in My New 3950

wiredawgchief

All,

Just thought I woud mention we installed our Sleep Number bed in the master suite. Just had to drill a hole on the center next to the wall for the remote control and the air hose for the bed. Works great and this is a nice upgrade. Also added hinges and made underbed storage as well.

Ron and Vivian

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Did you take any pictures? I am pondering this addition and would really like to see what you did.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
LOVE our sleep number bed. Ours has a wireless remote...simply removed top portion (non-moveable portion) of bed platform to install pump, and drilled hole to bring hoses and electric cord thru. Plugged into socket on side of bed platform....done.

WilmanJim

Is it true you have to lower the number when you travel through higher elevations. Or it that BS. I know from experience it plays havoc with mustard. :rolleyes:

kakampers

Oh YES! You MUST lower it down to about 20....we forgot when getting into about 4,900 feet. Won't do that again. Went to max pressure and felt like a brick. Too much pressure will bust the air chamber. Air temps will also affect the pressure too, just not as dramatically.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
kakampers is absolutely correct. a couple of years ago we headed west from WI to CA. When we arrived in Santa Rosa, NM. the bed was really puffed up. At first we wondered what the heck is going on? Pump problem? Then it dawned on us. Elevation! After that we knew to lower the numbers before we traveled to higher elevations.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We added a deluxe sleep number bed (Camping World's basic model) just before our 3000+ mile trip to South Dakota, Wyoming and back to Texas. We love it! Did the same as others, put the pump under the bed and drilled hole in platform to guide air hoses and cord for plug in. You do have to adjust the bed setting as you lay in it, because it takes into consideration your body weight. Once you get up, the bed is very soft, so we adjust back to 50 for it to look and feel "normal" when anyone leans or sits on it. Once you lay in bed again, you adjust to your number.

We drop the bed to 15 each time we move. I even made a reminder warning sticker and added it by the bedroom slide button, to remind me before pulling the bed slide in for travel. An absolute must, especially when we were going over 9000ft passes!

2psnapod2

My thoughts tho are that we have 3 very large drawers from the factory that are under our bed. Not sure how much room is needed under the bed.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Did you take any pictures? I am pondering this addition and would really like to see what you did.

Ditto that.

Looked at this bed yesterday at camping world. No info on the box about installation and they would not show the instructions. We talked to the guy who installs the beds an he explained the installation process which is what we needed to know. Our big country has two inches of space under the bed. The rest is for the hydraulics. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kakampers

At the head of.the bed platform, is there a stationary panel above the piano hinge?? If so, that is what we removed and placed the pump in that void. We too only have 2-3 inches of storage space...

Last edited:

2psnapod2

No piano hinge. The wood is all screwed down over the 3 drawers. How large are the items under the bed?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

kakampers

Not sure how to access under the bed with drawers, other than removing the platform to see what's underneath. The pump that comes with sleep number is about the size of a loaf of bread, maybe a little larger....if that's what you are asking.

2psnapod2

Yes I was asking how big the stuff under your bed was for the sleep number. I have been under our platform and it does have some room. But if all the stuff that needs to go under it is only as big or almost, as a loaf of bread I would think it would be doable. Will have to see. If you have any pictures of that stuff please share them. We have been living full time now for 16 months and the OEM bed still has some good to it, but not sure for how long.

kakampers

Don't have pics, but go to Camping World and look up the Sleep Number RV Premier Bed. It has a pic of the bed, hoses, pump and remote. This exactly what we have...for reference, the remote is just about the size of a TV remote. Hope this helps...

2psnapod2

Thanks, Ken or Kathy that sure does. I will have to look at our bed area. This might just be what we are sleeping on at some point. :)

wiredawgchief

Hi all,

Just got back from having one of the best shrimp/oyster po-boy I ever et. We bought our Sleep Number bed back in 2000 at a Sleep Number store for about $400 (half price after Christmas sale) We never had problem with inflation on it as our magic number is 47. My pump is the size of a double stack fruit cake. Like others have indicated, there is a little shelf under the front half(head) of the bed foundation. I'm installing a surround sound sub woofer (suspended) in the middle opening and a plastic container in the righthand opening.

I imagine you may be able to get a better deal at a Sleep Number store. They periodically have sales. The installation is custom. On my unit, I need to add to my pre=trip checklist to unplug the electric cord from the outlet right beside the slide...it could reaaly buggar up the electric outlet if it catches.

You all will never regret having a Sleep Number bed in your RV. If you decide to go this route, happy to help anyone walk through the install.

Cheers, Ron and Vivian

TravelTiger

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341590631.433042.jpg
Pump under bed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341590697.598370.jpg
Hoses come up out of the base in the far corner.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341590775.937078.jpg
Close up of holes.

Here are some pics of our install. We did it ourselves. Not hard, need a drill with a doorknob hole-cutting type drill bit. We removed the bed platform to gain access to make our holes and route everything. I used plastic cord minder to protect the edges of the hole from rubbing on cords or hoses.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We did the same a month or so ago. Did the king for the house and an expanded queen for the Landmark.Love them both.

kakampers

Luckily in our older Bighorn type electric socket is in the base of the bed, so we never have to worry about unplugging it...not sure about available electric in newer units.

TravelTiger

We didn't have a socket in the bed base. as you can see in my pictures, it goes over to the closet area to plug in to the wall. I have a warning label by the slide switch to remind me to set the bed at 20, and unplug. ;)