Installed a Backsplash

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Hi,

Jeff and I were a little unhappy with the black and brown striped wallpaper behind our stove and counter top so I decided to install a new backsplash. I used the fake tin panels from Lowes (you can find them back by the kitchen cabinets and countertops). They come in a variety of colors and patterns to include one that you can paint and are washable and heat resistant.

We choose the burnished copper color and in just a couple hours I had measured, cut with scissors, and mounted using Liquid Nails. It was so easy that I baked cookies in the convection oven while doing the install. Jeff was fishing!

I think it really adds something to the RV. I don't know why the photos are at that angle. I swear I wasn't drunk when I snapped the pictures.

Joy

View attachment 20176View attachment 20175image001.jpgimage001.jpgimage001.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nice work Joy!

If you turn the camera sideways when taking the picture, it will stay that way as a .jpg unless you rotate and save it before sending it. A lot depends on your photo software.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Pat had me do the samething 2 years ago. Yours looks great. I only said a few &%@# words.

jimmar

I actually used those same panels in my kitchen at home when we redid it and I love it. Easy to install and easy to clean. You have given me an idea - I may also use them in our fifth wheel. They look great in yours.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Be careful with those "simulated" metal backslashes, I looked into them, and they do not have a high heat tolerance. In our case, it looked like they'd be too close to the back burner. We went with real pressed tin.

Erika

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Be careful with those "simulated" metal backslashes, I looked into them, and they do not have a high heat tolerance. In our case, it looked like they'd be too close to the back burner. We went with real pressed tin.

Erika

That's the reason we went with the ceramic tile. It can get pretty warm back there with the rear burner going.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
According to the documentation, they are supposed to hear resistant and the stove top cover will still be between the actual wall and stove top so I think I'll be okay.

But, I will certainly keep a close eye on it now that you've told me that. Thanks.

jbeletti

Hi Joy,

I may be mis-understanding but in case I'm not, please don't use your stove with either piece of the solid surface stove cover stacked up against the wall directly behind the stove. Here's why - they can slide forward and be a real problem.

My experience:

I had one or both (can't remember) of the solid surface stove covers stacked up against the wall directly behind the stove. I had a large frying pan of food on the front high output burner. Without warning, the cover slid forward (probably from the bottom) onto the stove and knocked the frying pan of hot food off the stove and onto the floor. I was not in front of the stove when this happened, so I did not get burned or have a pot hit my feet. But the pot actually dented and hot food was all over the floor and cabinets. What a mess.

Be safe.

back2nature

My experience:

I had one or both (can't remember) of the solid surface stove covers stacked up against the wall directly behind the stove. I had a large frying pan of food on the front high output burner. Without warning, the cover slid forward (probably from the bottom) onto the stove and knocked the frying pan of hot food off the stove and onto the floor. I was not in front of the stove when this happened, so I did not get burned or have a pot hit my feet. But the pot actually dented and hot food was all over the floor and cabinets. What a mess.

Be safe.

I love it when we can learn from other people's mistakes and not our own. :)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I'm looking into this type of backsplash as well going with the antique brass finish. Thanks for the pictures cuz it gives me a better idea of how it's going to look. Our coach has the metal stove cover that bi-fold when using the stove top so there is some heat protection from the wall and back eyes. 99.5% of time I only use the front burner.

danemayer

Your backsplash looks wonderful! Thanks for posting the pics!

Hi FrankMHS,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

BarbinLA

What a very nice look! Nice job!! I will remember this if mine gets to looking a bit ragged. Thanks for the suggestion and photos.

jimtoo

Hi BarbinLA,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Don't wait till it gets ragged.... do it and enjoy the new look.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M