Converter won't give a full charge

sjs731

I have an Interstate SRM29 series deep cycle battery. Anytime I leave the rig sit in the yard plugged in the converter only manages to keep the battery at 50%. That is according to my battery charger when I hook it up. Is it possible to have to big of a battery for the converter to fully charge?

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would check the output of the Converter. It could be possible it is not putting out enough of a charge to charge the battery. I would also check the battery for a dead cell. That would cause the battery to not take a complete charge also.

Have you tried to measure the charge with a hydrometer? They are a little more critical than a battery charger. Could be the charger is way off or the meter is a cheap one. The true test is to test the specific gravity of the electrolyte.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had two converters go bad on me. After the third one was installed I had a problem with it not charging the battery. Took the battery back where I bought the Interstate battery to be replaced and they would not take it. Told me they had to many go bad and quit handeling them.

I replaced the battery with a Gel battery from Sams Store. When I traded the trailer in for my Bighorn I kept the battery and put the new Interstate in the SOB.

Check to see the output of the converter to be about 13.4v. If that is good replace the battery. BTW I would replace the battery period.

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW I had two brand new Interstate batteries be bad at installation. I took them both back to the Interstate distributor (not the dealer) and he found me a good one after testing 4 new ones in a row that had bad cells. Just because it is new or close to new does not mean it is not defective.

brianharrison

I would follow sundancer87 suggestion - double check the battery charge level with an alternate method such as using a hydrometer to test battery electrolyte specific gravity (SG). Alternatively use an accurate digital multimeter to measure Open Circuit Voltage (OCV). Here is a link to a webpage showing Interstate Battery Testing.

I would start with the OCV test. As well, when you are plugged in the initial charge voltage when you first plug in shore power should be 13.6 to 14.2V, depending on your converter model.

Hope this helps.

Brian

sjs731

Well I got some free time when we weren't using the rig and checked the converter. It has 14 volts coming out of it. Now next I'll have to pull the caps off the battery and check it with the hydrometer. It shows 13.6 volts with a multimeter. We are off on another trip tomorrow so that will have to wait.

Steve

brianharrison

converter only manages to keep the battery at 50%. That is according to my battery charger when I hook it up.

Steve

checked the converter. It has 14 volts coming out of it. Now next I'll have to pull the caps off the battery and check it with the hydrometer. It shows 13.6 volts with a multimeter.

Steve

Sounds like your battery charger meter (showing 50%) is wrong. Let the battery relax (1 hour no charge) after having the converter charge for 72 hours - and measure battery voltage - Around 12.8V on a relaxed battery is full charge.

Hope this helps,
Brian

sjs731

I'm with you Brian. Everything seemed to test out fine with a multimeter last night. We occasionally camp with no shore power or gennys and I just wanted to make sure we'd have a fully charged battery.

Steve

TXBobcat

Fulltime
To much work. Just go to Sams Club get a deep charge Gell Cell and get rid of the interstate battery. It soulds like your converter is working. Keep using that battery and you could ruin your converter like I did. No more problems.

BC

sjs731

Thanks for the tip TXBobcat. I need a couple new ones for my TV before winter too.

Steve

RCF

To much work. Just go to Sams Club get a deep charge Gell Cell and get rid of the interstate battery. It soulds like your converter is working. Keep using that battery and you could ruin your converter like I did. No more problems.

BC

Yep, did the same myself - except mine's a Diehard from Sears. After two Interstates, and a destroyed converter (which I'm sure was due to the batteries), I went this direction. Not a problem since. When I pick up the Bighorn in a few weeks, I'll keep the Diehard and have 'em put the Interstate (or whatever it comes with) in the SOB TT that I'm trading in!