Wintering Out

vangoes

I am looking for some input relative to Wintering Out places that do not cost a arm and a leg. Last winter I bounced around from central Fl. to Gulf Shores Al. and back and back and back. Gulfshores State Park probably has the best monthly rates that you will find anywhere but it is also cold at times. The places we stayed in central Fl. was very expensive and gave absolutely no breaks for extended stays unless you had reserved and paid a year in advance. I have never been a person who plans/reserves months/years in advance (if I do, it usually falls apart). Any input would be great. I do plan to return to Gulfshores for a month or so, but I am looking for other alternatives.!

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Vangoes, we have spent the majority of the past two winters in Lakeland FL at Tiki Village. Last year's rate was $475/month if staying for at least two months. I believe it was $550 for just one month. Electricity is added to that. It is a pretty decent park, located just off I-4 and US 98 (exit 32 on I-4). There's a mall four blocks away and loads of restaurants to choose from. At $475/month, plus electricity, it averaged about $18/night.

The first year we went down there, we spent the first three weeks touring the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. The cheapest park we found was Hanna Park at Atlantic Beach, just north of Jacksonville. We were lucky to have made our reservation in the fall and landed a full hook-up back-in site for $14/night - about two weeks after making our reservation, the price was in the $20s. The Atlantic was just a short distance away (about two blocks).

If you decide on Lakeland, and especially Tiki Village, look us up. Last year there were two Bighorns in the park (one was ours).

Chuck

vangoes

Thanks Chuck,
I will look into Tiki...............we stayed at Sanlan Lakes (between Lakeland and Bartow) last year...............expensive unless reserved a year in advance. Cost us $35/day, whether staying one day or 30 days....no difference.

SmokeyBare

VanGoes,

We spent time at a small park called Mouse Mountain between Kissimmee and Davenport Fla. I'm not a fan of Florida but this was a nice small park close to the attractions... if that's what matters to you. Here is a link:

http://www.centralfloridarvparks.com/mousemountain/

What about Texas? There are Hundreds of RV Parks in the Rio Grand Valley alone. We're heading that direction this late fall... and probably... only because we've not yet made reservations... to Yuma Arizona after.

Good Luck

Marv

C

Chulinw

Have you stayed in any of the Florida State Parks? The only thing bad about them is no sewer huckups. With Golden Age Passport it is around $8.00 a day. I always have a blue boy with me that I use to dump gray water. I can go two weeks on the black tank.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We found a park we like in Corpus Christi, TX. Colonia Del Rey RV Park. Last years rate was $340/mo + elec. Nice park, people and within 10 miles of all the shopping one could need but on a quiet road. Also 5 minutes from Padre Island. Not too windy either. we have reserved again for this year just because we had the same problems you are facing now.

Princess Kathleen

Last winter we stayed at Caney Creek Resort, Harriman TN for 300 a month plus 32 for electricity. Yes it was cold but we had more warm weather thatn cold. This was in December.

Pk