ANSWERED: New to 50 amp and have questions.

dbbls59

Just brought my new Big Country home and used adapters to plug into 15 amp outlet in the garage. The fridge never switched over to electric. I tried other appliances and found that the main AC would not work, the TV and radio also didn't work. The second AC does work. Is this normal? At the dealership I was plugged into 50 amp service and everything worked. All the circuit breakers seem OK.

rick_debbie_gallant

Re: New to 50 amp and have questions.

I am no electrical guru, but me thinks you are only getting fire into 1 leg of your fifty amp. I found an adapter for 30 amp to 50 if that helps. this adapter I believe some how bridges each leg of the 50 amp cord that goes into the 5th wheel. with that you will have just 30 amps but all of your electric will work. Just cant turn a bunch of amp hog stuff on at the same time. Hope that makes sense.

I believe this is the one that I have for my rig.
http://tweetys.com/18-adapter-30m-to-50f.aspx

GOTTOYS

Your A/C draws in the area of 18 amps by itself. Don't try to run that on a 15 amp circuit..Your 50 amp service is actually 2-110 volt lines coming into the trailer. You have no 220 volt anything coming in. Be very careful what you plug it into. RVs are different than what you might have at home. Anytime you plug it in the convertor will start up. This charges the battery and converts 110 volts to 12 volts for your lights etc. The radio runs on 12 volt as do all the lights. Your tv, microwave, water heater, fridge and A/Cs run on 110. Your bedroom A/C maybe a 13,500 btu output vs a 15,000 on your main which might explain why it could run. You still don't have enough power to operate it properly. Check your breakers by actually turning them off and on rather than just looking at them. About all you should expect to run on a 15 amp plug is the convertor and maybe the television. Sounds to me something might have tripped...Don

Birchwood

If you plug into 15 amps keep your fridge and water heater on propane.Also don't use your microwave,toaster, hairdryer or any other heater.Basically
all you can enjoy is your Tv and the charger that charges your main battery.You can use all your 12 lights but stay away from the 120 volt lighting.
Don't use A/C as you could ruin it with such low amperage.You need a minimum of 30 amp to run just 1 A/C.

bdb2047

A properly wired 50a rv outlet will have 2 lines that measure 120v to neutral and 240v across the hot lines.Nothing in camper is wired 240v having the 2 lines allows load to be split.Since nothing is wired 240 the 30a,which is 1 120v line, to 50a ties the 2 lines alowing all to be put on 1 line 120v.The 15a to 30 amp adapter just change plug configuration to allow use of 15a recipticale.Check yor breaker again turn them off then back on sometimes not able to see tripped breaker.As GOTTOYS said I would be surprised if able to run much 15a.When I connect to 15a it will trip when vacumn is run.

dbbls59

YEA, problem solved. I checked the heavy power cord connection on the trailer and guess what. It had pulled to one side and was not making a good connection. I pushed it in further and tightened the ring and every thing works. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Don, make sure you twist the 50amp cord plug to right when you install it. If you don't, you will not get the full amps to both legs of the circuit breakers. One leg could be dead.