BC Hot water tank capacity ???

I was looking through the Heartland 5th wheel information on the website and it says that all the 5th wheels have a 12 gallon water heater except for the Big Country that has a 20 gallon. Is this correct? That seems awfully large.
TIA, Joy

Did you notice that the website says that all BC's have 20 gallon water heaters? I wonder if that
is just 2012 models or maybe a typo?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our current BC 3650 has a 12 gallon water heater. Our 2008 BC 3250 only had a 10 gallon heater.

GOTTOYS

My Big Country has a 12. They all come off the same assembly line. I'm thinking 20 gal is a typo. Never ran out with our 12 gallon. Don

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
The spec is a " 20 gal PER HOUR" water heater..........guess that "reads" better than just a little ole 12 gal tank. :rolleyes:

Our 3250 is the "little" 12 gal.....and we have never had a hot water shortage :D

B

bwwalczak

This is not a typo. When Big Country went to the GOLD edition, we began using the Atwood XT water heater. This is the highest capacity recovery water heater on the market. Aluminum tank vs steel with glass (no anode rod), more contact with water.

Customers are telling us that it is all about recovery, not just capacity. If a 12 gallon water heater has a recovery of 16 gallons per hour, the new Atwood has 19.8 gallons per hour recovery. It does make sense, it is all about recovery.

Thanks Bryan. Does this mean that it takes 12 gallons of water to fill the tank but will recover 19.8 gallons per hour?
Would that mean that if we practically drained the tank using a shower that it would recover a full 12 gallons of water
heated in about 40 minutes?

B

bwwalczak

The new Atwood XT water heater recovers 19.8 gallons per hour, and holds 10 gallons at a time. About 30 minutes to full temp from "cold -empty".

The old Suburban water heaters recover 16 gallons per hour, and hold 12 gallons at a time. About 40 minutes to full temp from "cold - empty".

The newer/better Big Country water heater, heats more water, faster.

B

bwwalczak

By the way, both water heaters are using gas AND electric to acheive these higher efficiency ratings. (this was probably the next question).

Yes, that and you said that they were in the new Gold edition. We don't have a Gold edition but
we do have a 2012 that has a water heater without an anode rod so does that mean we have this one?

B

bwwalczak

We did build some Platinum Big Countrys with the better water heater, just a few before the change over.

Atwood - no anode rod - better water heater
Suburban - anode rod -