Problems with DVD player

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Anybody else had problems witht the Coby DVD surround system player? Ours has been a bit unreliable since we got it, but now it has started freezing in the middle of movies when we know there is nothing wrong with the discs. Our dealer has ordered another one for us, but I wondered if this was an isolated problem or one others have a lot of trouble with too.

We looked at just replacing it ourselves with a better unit, but it's tough to find one that has the right kind of speaker connections. Most of the ones out there use RCA jacks instead.

v92c

Texan
The dealer replaced ours also. Our last camper was an 04 Laredo that one was replaced 3 times. Same problem, it just stops in the middle of a movie. Sometimes it would play through without a problem.

lhope40

I replaced mine with a Panasonic sc-pt650 ($300 at best buy). Speaker wire terminates into spring clips just like Colby. I removed the white ceiling mounted speakers and installed the new speakers with sanus wall mounts. I disconnected the center channel speaker and left it in place. I have the new center channel mounted under the TV. It sounds really good.
2007 Big Country 3250TS

ct0218

I threw mine out the first week. Bought a JVC A/V receiver, DVD player, installed a satellite receiver, rewired everything to work. Much, much, much better sound and picture.

HappyKayakers

We haven't had any problems with ours over the last year. We don't play DVDs that often but at least a few times a month.

5catfam

:rolleyes: I have had mine freeze up a couple of times. I haven't made up my mind If I will replace it or get a new one under warrenty.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
putting on RCA plugs is not difficult. They are in fact very easy to put on. Just buy some take them apart and solder the wires to the conacts. assemble them and job is done. Don't let a RCA plug defeat you...
Rand

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
At first DH said he didn't want to mess with changing from clips to jacks, so I looked only for units with clips. Today he told me that switching wouldn't really be all that much trouble, so if the replacement gives us any problems, I'll be shopping for a new unit. I know he doesn't want to mess with replacing the speakers ... he doesn't want to put a little nail in the wall anywhere in the coach, so I know he won't want to move speakers! :eek: So, I won't need to look for a whole surround sound system. Of course, it would be nice if the replacement unit works, so we don't have to spend money on a new one right now.

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
ct0218...Where did you get your JVC unit? Was it just the unit or did you change speakers too? Been looking all over for one that will fit in our cabinet in the 08' 3600 RL.

cmart

I've haven't got my DVD or surround sound working yet, I've got it back at the dealer for their inspection. Could be operator headspace on my part.

ct0218

I went online and checked for the right size (to fit in the limited shelf space in the cabinet) and a good name brand. Sony and several others were all too tall, but I have had good luck with JVC in the past so I went with that. I ordered it and had it in a few days, and no one in my area stocked the model I wanted anyway. I have not replaced the speakers yet, and that is going to be more of a challenge. It appears mine are slightly recessed in the ceiling with a round mounting plate. I will have to do a bit of work, and homework, replacing them. They are not very good quality OEM speakers, but I was able to rip out and trash the subwoofer and replace it with a powered subwoofer. I moved it to behind a recliner (sofa on the side slide, recliners in the rear). That alone improved the sound tremendously. I drilled a hole in the shelf to access the other a/v equipment, and a right angle drill is needed for that because of limited clearance. Since the sound is so much improved now I have just lived with the speaker situation, but it's on my list for a fix soon.

kakampers

ct0218...Thanks for the response, I was wondering however, if you could provide me with a little more infor, i.e., model number, where on-line you purchased it, etc.

So far all the JVC's if located are too large for the cabinet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ChopperBill

We received a Zenith in our Bighorn. For a low dollar unit it sounds pretty good to my ears. I did disconnect the center speaker as it was mounted to far right of the TV and was a little irritating. I put a better speaker just behind and to the side of the TV and it is much better. The sub woofer will rattle some at times but not sure it isn't the signal that it is receiving rather than the woofer.

ct0218

Its A JVC model RX-D302B or S (black or silver). I got it for about $250, list $400, but can't remember the online store. A Google search should find it. Hopefully the shelf spacing is the same in your Bighorn as my Landmark. Good luck.

cmart

Does the sub-woofer come on all models with surround sound, if so, mine must be hidden really well? I saw in the instructions about the woofer, but I just figured it wasn't available on the model I have. 08 3055RL.

kakampers

ct0218 - thanks for all you info, however, after checking that model it was still too big for our cabinet. We did locate a "micro" unit made by Phillips, it fits beautifully and gives us plenty of room for hooking up the cabling in the rear...that was the main issue, cabinet just wasn't deep enough! The new phillips works well and surprisingly makes the installed speakers sound MUCH better...think we'll be keeping those; really don't want to deal with holes in the ceiling!! Thanks Again!

regan

Regan
Problems with stereo

Yes, we had the same problem, We replaced it with a Sony receiver, you can pick them up for about $200. They have the proper speaker hook-ups. Same time we also put in a seperate Sony DVD player. When you do this you can use the HDMI and get a better picture with your DVD than the Colby unit. Hope this helps

dglatta

Sony

regan said:
Yes, we had the same problem, We replaced it with a Sony receiver, you can pick them up for about $200. They have the proper speaker hook-ups. Same time we also put in a seperate Sony DVD player. When you do this you can use the HDMI and get a better picture with your DVD than the Colby unit. Hope this helps

I have a few questions. Which model Bighorn do you have? Which Sony reciever and player did you find to fit the cabinet? Did you replace the installed speakers/subwoofer? Thanks for your help!