ATF: North Trail - Dimple / Indentation on front of travel trailer

ZNK

This past week of camping I noticed a large indentation or dimple in the front of my travel trailer. This dimple is just above the the diamond plate below the North Trail logo. Is this normal? There are no signs of distress and I know that the camper has not been in an accident of any kind. The indentation is only on the outside of the trailer and not visible in the inside. It just seems as though the fiberglass is indented. Would like to know if this is suppose to be there. If not is this something that should be looked at and or repaired? Is it covered under warranty? Please advise.

ZNK

Heartland called me today. They also asked for some pictures. I sent them some and are waiting to hear back on whether they think it needs to be repaired. They said some ripples are normal but this probably wasn't. The front cap is not laminated I guess. Here are some photos. Yes I know its a little dirty, but I just bought a power washer tonight so I can wash it! :cool: Then I plan to wax it.

photo 1.jpgphoto(1).JPGphoto(2).JPG

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 106

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a NT and I have seen other folks with an issue of a landscape dimple occurring over time in the front cap. Yours is very unusual. The horizontal dimples were caused by poor bracing underneath the cap and over time, wind forces were pressing in on the area.

That doesn't seem to be your issue. Let us know what HL says. It's definitely a defect.

APT

My NT has a similar, but not as severe dimple, more on the driver's side than yours. It does not seem to have any other problem.

GaryWT

I have similar marks on the front of mine, mostly up and down the edges where it goes under the corner molding but a number of others. Seems to grow each time we use it, traveling down the highway at 55-60 MPH. To me this just seemed normal, hopefully nothing is wrong.

ZNK

Nothing has hit the trailer. There are no scratches or any other signs of damage. Heartland called me back today. They want me to take this in to get it fixed. They said "the front wall is not laminated and it appears that it is collapsing between the studs."

Question I have is who do you recommend to do this repair? I don't want to go back to the dealer...they didn't have great service. My first thought was Camping World, but my father doesn't (2psnapod2) think that is a good idea. Anyone have any recommendations?

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Ours has a slight dimple too, pretty much right in the middle above the diamond plating, you don't even notice it unless you look at it from the right angle. When I mentioned it to the dealer he said they all have that, it is normal, but then again our dealer told us a lot of things.

pegmikef

Question I have is who do you recommend to do this repair? I don't want to go back to the dealer...they didn't have great service. My first thought was Camping World, but my father doesn't (2psnapod2) think that is a good idea. Anyone have any recommendations?

Try asking Heartland Service. They found a dealer for me when I needed some work done. Mention your feelings about your local dealer and ask if they can recommend a different one that is capable of doing the work.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
My first thought was Camping World, but my father doesn't (2psnapod2) think that is a good idea. Anyone have any recommendations?

Ok Zack, you did not understand what I was saying. What I meant was, not all dealers are set or trained to do larger repairs like this. I would call Heartland and see if they can suggest someone.

Rusty0007

My 32 Buds has a dimple or wave in the front cap as well. Not severe but it's noticeable for sure. Not sure if its heat related or what...

ZNK

Heartland hasnt gotten back to me yet. I think I will try to call Monday. The email communication seems to be a bit lacking.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rusty,

If you are worried about any kind of "wave", contact Heartland Customer Service and send pictures.

berky

My NT has a similar, but not as severe dimple, more on the driver's side than yours. It does not seem to have any other problem.

X2. A mild dimple on the driver's side, and a small ripple near the corner molding.

I saw it as soon as I picked the trailer up from storage a wek ago. My first thought was water leakage from the strong storms that hammered the East Coast two weeks ago. But all of the seams were sound.

I'm thinking it's due to expansion of the cap material from the extreme heat of the last two weeks. I'm reasonably certain it was not there when I out the trailer in storage, and so not due to wind force while traveling down the road.

Most plastics have a high coefficient of expansion, so it's not unreasonaable to think that high temperatures are the cause. Minor dimples would seem to be the nature of the beast, but yours does seem a bit odd.