Anyone replace the bath vent fan?

marc515

I'm looking for a better bath vent fan, and am wondering if any of you guys have replaced your bath vent fan.
There's the Fantastic Fan, but you have to replace the whole fan unit, and I''m not too sure I want to tackle that and risk a roof leak. Then there's the Vortex II which replaces the fan only.

Just looking to see what others have done. Thank you

noobee

A few years ago, I replaced it with a basic Fantastic Fan. Also installed a cover (the type that is hinged & secured with pins). The job wasn't difficult by following the instructions. Sealed everything using plenty of Dicor.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The bedroom and bath fans are identical. I changed the bedroom fan to a Heng Vortex last year. All of the work is done inside, so there's no problem with removing any caulk or parts on the roof. Pretty simple to do and the fan is much more efficient. Still a tad loud, but not as annoying a sound as the OEM fan. The design also cuts down on the amount of light that comes through the vent opening.

Considering replacing the bathroom fan, but it's not high on the To-do list right now.

RuralPastor

Hey Marc and Joan,
We dumped the noisy and ineffective bathroom fan for a vortex conversion. It was about an hour job (all inside). We're happy with the results. It does sound a bit like a jet engine revving up, but it moves lots of air. I think we paid around 50-60 bucks. We added a vent cover (high flow style) a week later.
Mark

pegmikef

I, too, used the Heng Vortex fan to replace the bathroom fan. I saw it somewhere on this forum (maybe John) and looked it up. It was cheaper than the Fantastic fan and did the same thing. The main reason I used it though was because, as John said, it is installed from the inside and takes about fifteen minutes if that. I have been using it for about a year. The nice thing is is that it is strong enough to draw air from open windows and can be used to ventilate our little TT. We leave the bathroom door closed and it draws the air under and above the door.

rick_debbie_gallant

Yuppppppppp! We replaced the bathroom fan with the vortex fan also. Not as loud and works better also.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
I replaced mine with a fantastic fan.
Model I used has thermostat, two directions, 3 speeds and rain sensor.
Perfect for a bathroom where you can easily reach the controls.
Also added a topside cover at the same time.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We tried two different Heng Vortex models, and both were too loud with a high pitched whine that drove me insane. Returned them both, and DH installed a Fantastic Fan. No comparison!! The Fantastic fan is very quiet on low, but still moves plenty of air. Med and high are great when you need to move a lot of air quickly. With another vent or window open, it can help circulate air in the whole space and cool the temp overall. We got the version that has 3 speeds and reverse. Removal of old vent took about an hour, install of new about the same. Used lots of Dicor lap sealant to seal.

davebennington

We installed a Heng Vortex fan in the bathroom, like everyone said easy install. In addition I installed a variable speed switch and it is a lot quieter now but still moves a lot of air

dave

Rrloren

Excuse me for perhaps being a bit dense but having looked at my bathroom vent I see only 4 screws holding the thing up plus the little handle for the vent. Looks like a simple wire connection.
Does the vortex fan fit up into the opening when the existing unit is removed? Looks a little too simple.
Does sound like a good addition.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK Don, are you using a garden hose to start the Harley??

Sometime this year we are going with a 2nd A/C for the BR. At that point I am going to install the Fantastic Vent from the BR to the Stool room. I just hope I can pull the wires through the roof to rehook up the thermostat.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Excuse me for perhaps being a bit dense but having looked at my bathroom vent I see only 4 screws holding the thing up plus the little handle for the vent. Looks like a simple wire connection.
Does the vortex fan fit up into the opening when the existing unit is removed? Looks a little too simple.
Does sound like a good addition.

There are only two 12V wires to deal with, the same ones already powering the OEM fan. Everything that you need to remove to install the Vortex is done from inside. The existing vent cap remains, even the mechanism to raise/lower it. All that changes for that is you get a star knob to replace the crank handle.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There are only two 12V wires to deal with, the same ones already powering the OEM fan. Everything that you need to remove to install the Vortex is done from inside. The existing vent cap remains, even the mechanism to raise/lower it. All that changes for that is you get a star knob to replace the crank handle.

John is correct. The 4 screws actually hold the plastic framing/shroud around the square hole. You will remove that, disconnect the existing fan blade and motor, then the Feng Vortex unit attaches with two small screws to the existing vent cap. You have to do some careful alignment, but it's relatively easy to install. Make sure you do this with good lighting, and cover the floor vent, you'll probably drop the screws a few times. LOL! Hook up the same two wires, and replace the plastic framing/shroud.

If you are not sensitive to the sound, it is a good alternative. We are happier with our Fantastic fan. ;)

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We installed a Heng Vortex fan in the bathroom....In addition I installed a variable speed switch and it is a lot quieter now but still moves a lot of air

dave

Dave, How about details on how & what you used to do the variable switch.

I need the "Variable Switch Install for Dummies" version.

32126-Clipart-Illustration-Of-An-Expressive-Yellow-Smiley-Face-Emoticon-With-One-Big-Eye-Stresse.jpg
Thanks!!

davebennington

The variable switch is a simple 3 speed heater switch that I purchased from NAPA. You have to enlarge the push button hole a little, but it works great. If you want I will get the part number for you when I got to the trailer.

dave

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
The variable switch is a simple 3 speed heater switch that I purchased from NAPA. You have to enlarge the push button hole a little, but it works great. If you want I will get the part number for you when I got to the trailer.dave
That's what I love about this forum.......eliminate the guesswork and trial & error!!Thanks Dave!!

hriker

We replaced our OEM bathroom fan with the vortex replacement fan. Its as easy as everyone has said here. It is noisier then the fantastic fan but much quieter then the OEM fan. This a great upgrade to improve the bathroom ventilation. And only about a $70 cost.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I also replaced the OEM bathroom fan with the Heng Vortex fan. I also added a rheostat switch I bought from an auto parts store for about $12. Now have variable speed. Did it slightly different than davebennington, I kept the original push button switch, and added the rheostat switch on the opposite side. Just drilled a hole, inserted switch but added some plastic support (epoxied) on the mounting side so the rheostat could be fastened (see picture) and therefor not turn when adjusting the fan speed. This way I still have one switch to turn fan On/Off, and can then adjust speed with rheostat according to conditions and needs:eek:. Sorry you have to look at picture sideways, just glad I could upload it;).

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 80