Proper Hitch connection - New Edge M21 owner

I just purchase a 2011 Edge M21 - it's the first travel trailer I've ever owned. I am using a 2003 Chevy Silverado 5.4L short bed for towing. The previous owner was using a Honda mini van with a weight distribution hitch and anti sway bar. When I picked up the trailer I used the weight distribution hitch and anti sway bar he provided to bring it home.

Should I be using the weight distribution hitch (and anti sway bar) with the Silverado or is it unneccesary. It definitely makes noise when backing up and at other times too.

BigSteve_M21
Tallahassee, FL

danemayer

Hi BigSteve_M21,

Congratulations on your Heartland purchase and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly people here who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with advice.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hi Steve, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. The Edge M21 has an advertised tongue weight of 364 lbs. That's when empty. I would guess that once loaded, the weight will go up around 500#. Most receiver hitches are rated for 5000# straight pull and 10,000# using a eq system. I think you are or will be close enough to 500# on the tongue to warrant using the EQ hitch. If it's adjusted and set up properly, it should be fairly quiet except for when backing into a spot or tight turns. If you use an anti sway device, be sure to loosen it when backing into a site.

pegmikef

What Ray said. I had the same trailer for awhile and pulled it with a Ford F150 using and EAZ-LIFT WD hitch, but no sway bar (and I never needed one). It is very important that the hitch be adjusted correctly. For EAZ-Lift this is the relationship of the ball height to the trailer ball cup height. For my hitch the ball height should be one eigth inch higher than the trailer ball cup for each hundred pounds of tongue weight (e.g., 600 pounds tongue weight would make the ball three quarters of an inch higher). Also, EAZ-Lift recommends that the ball and torsion bars (where they attach to the hitch) be greased with a good grade of grease. I don't know what hitch you have, but you can probably look it up online and find out the specific adjustment requirements for yours. Mike

camr

Hi Steve, we pulled an M-22 for two years with a Buick Enclave and a Reese sway control WDH. I would recommend a sway control WDH of some kind. You could certainly try pulling without one, but we had ablsolutly no sway with the setup we ran.

And by the way, the Edge line of TT's is a great product. We had not one quality issue with it. As close to a trouble free trailer as you will ever find. Great choice!

-Cam

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When we pulled our 27ft. TT with a Chevy Avalanche, the sway bar and WDH were both needed. Although the tongue weight of the trailer was less than the hitch rating on the truck, it helped to level everything out. And the first time a semi passes you or you pass it without a sway bar, you'll wish you had one. Lightweight TT's are like the tail wagging the dog.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
As for the noise issue, depending on the wd hitch your using you may be able to grease the contact points and reduce the noise greatly.

I use an equal-i-zer with mt North Trail. I grease the L-brackets which reduced most of the noise I had with my hitch.

Last edited:
Many thanks for everyone's advice! I did not know about loosening the Anti Sway bar when backing or greasing the contact points to lessen the noise - will try both. I'm very pleased with the overall quality and design of the Edge... looking forward to our first trip in August!

Thanks again!