Break Away Cable

jwalker1

Okay guys or gals where do you connect your break away cable inside the truck bed? I had mine disconnect twice today and stopped traffic both times for about five minutes until I got it reconnected. Very embarrassing and frustrating for the DW. TIA for any assistance. I have the 25k Reese factory installed hitch from Ford.

GOTTOYS

I hook mine up to the rail on my truck bed through a hole that is almost directly below the break away switch. I have a small metal clip on the end which makes it easy to hook up. Plenty of slack and the it's right about where the hitch pivots so it won't tighten up..Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just take the loop on the end and place it around the handle for the hitch. Plenty of slack so it doesn't get pulled while manuevering, but not so much that it can cause a problem, should the trailer drop off the hitch. But, now that I have the latch kit installed on the hitch, even that's not a real possibility.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I have the same hitch. I drop the safety pin on the release handle through the loop in the cable and then through the hole in the handle. I shortened my cable a little by tying a loop in the center.

porthole

Retired
eye bolt installed in the bed side rail about center over the tire. Snap clip on the cable for connection.

TedS

I clip mine a hole in the top frame of my hitch. Puts the end close to the pivot point and there is enough slack to not pull the cable tight in turns and I can reach it while standing outside the bed.

sjs731

I clip mine to the pin that goes through the handle to lock it closed.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

I use a 3 ft section of chain attached to the hitch rail with a clip on the chain for easy connection.No bending
or reaching required.

Gizzy

After having ours disconnect twice due to hanging up during really tight turns, I installed the coiled type and problem solved.

noobee

After having ours disconnect twice due to hanging up during really tight turns, I lengthed the cable. Bought a piece of the same material & made a loop.

wdk450

I believe that connecting the breakaway switch cable to the hitch is illegal (Federal Highway Regulations), but most RVers do that (including me). I have an eye hook on my truck bed toolbox center that I plan to get a coiled lanyard for.

funntheson

I bought one of the coiled ones from Camping World. I hook it to one of the padlocks that keep my hitch from walking away.

Larry

Sandpirate69

I had the same problem with tight turns. So I put a stainless eye bolt at the rear of the plastic shroud on my left side of the hitch and slide the loop through it , then I hook the loop to the handle lock pin.

RoadJunkie

I believe that connecting the breakaway switch cable to the hitch is illegal (Federal Highway Regulations), but most RVers do that (including me). I have an eye hook on my truck bed toolbox center that I plan to get a coiled lanyard for.

I wonder if the popular notion that it is illegal to attach a breakaway device to the hitch is a myth. The DOT regulation 393, sub part C-brakes, 393.43, Breakaway and Emergency Braking, paragraph d, Breakaway braking requirements for trailers, reads: "Every trailer required to be equipped with brakes shall have brakes which apply automatically and immediately upon breakaway from the towing vehicle. With the exception of trailers having three or more axles, all brakes with which the trailer is required to be equipped must be applied upon breakaway from the towing vehicle. The brakes must remain in the applied position for at least 15 minutes."

The regulation does not identify specifics as to what method is/is not acceptable to achieve compliance. The de facto industry standard is the breakaway lanyard, but where and how it is attached does not appear to be regulated. The DOT is primarily concerned with the end result and not how it is achieved?

Reference: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu.../fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.43&keyword=brakes

hriker

We purchased an axle strap and wrap it around our blue ox bed saver and connect the break away to it with a carabiner. Works great!!