Generator Fuel Pump

mmastin

I have been having trouble with my generator ever since I bought my Cyclone 3950 in October 2010. The generator will stop runniing after 15 - 30 minutes. I have tried octane booster and sta-bil with mixed results. I just had a mobile RV service guy come out and check the generator and he says it is fine - but the fuel pump is not designed to pump the fuel more than about 6 feet, which is a problem since the fuel tank is over 20 feet away!

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions on how to addres this would be appreciated.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
When the genny quits, is the fuel pump making a loud ticking sound or a faint humming sound? Loud ticking means it's not drawing fuel.
Porthole may be on to something with his question....the tank vent may be clogged.

mmastin

No loud ticking. When the genny quits it "coughs" a couple of times like it is running out of fuel, and there is a strong exhaust odor. I'll try the gas cap and see if that works. I also suspect there may be a kink somewhere in the fuel line.

porthole

Retired
there may be a kink somewhere in the fuel line.

I found two pinch-kinks in my fuel line. Neither caused a problem at the time, but I corrected it anyway.
One was behind the forward basement wall, pinched between the Genny and frame and the other was somewhere between there and the water tank.
For the most part, the fuel line just lays on the under belly. So if you find it at the tank and give it some shakes you should be able to hear where it is free and where it may be pinched.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
How soon after it quits will it restart?
Can you relate the stopping to a heavy draw like a second A/C coming on or a hair dryer being turned on? Things like that are what causes a larger fuel requirement that a kink would prevent.
Don't forget that the fuel filter may have ingested some debris when the system was first started. That would also cause fuel starvation.
You can disconnect the fuel line at the carb and press the prime switch to check for fuel flow. CAUTION!! Be sure you are pumping the fuel into a safe container and have a fire extinguisher close by!!!
Don't expect it to gush like a firehose... at max load the engine only uses about a gallon an hour

No loud ticking. When the genny quits it "coughs" a couple of times like it is running out of fuel, and there is a strong exhaust odor. I'll try the gas cap and see if that works. I also suspect there may be a kink somewhere in the fuel line.
Could be the thing is flooding itself, especially with the coughing and strong exhaust odor. Take a look at the exhaust pipe as see if it's sooty or pull the plug and see if it's wet or fouled.