Hanging pictures etc.

I want to hang some pictures etc. But I don't want to put holes in my walls or attach something that might damage my walls.

What are you all using to hang pictures? I was thinking maybe those hooks that have the double sided tape but they are suppose to remove easily without causing damage, has anyone used these?

Thanks, Wendy

danemayer

DW says to use 3M Picture Hanging Hooks. It's a plastic or metal hook that has adhesive backing. Easily removed without damage to the wall. "3M Command" brand.

We were walking around Gunnison, CO today and stopped in an art gallery that had 8x10 and 8x12 photos on foam board mount (very light). DW hung them this afternoon with the 3M stuff. Here's a pic of one over the read slide window.

moutain_landscape.jpg

AnnR

Definitely agree with the Command 3M suggestion. We've used one of the large hooks just inside the door to keep dog leashes and bags handy, and a series of 3 smaller hooks to hang keys below the main control panel. The 3 key hooks weren't exactly level, so after a few days of staring at them and being annoyed I moved them. They removed easily and left no marks on the wallpaper. The adhesive strips aren't re-usable, but they do provide 2 sets for each hook. They also have some flat sort of velcro stuff that snaps together to hold light flat pictures - even if you use hooks to hang the pictures, this stuff looks like it would be great to anchor the edges to keep the pictures from banging on the walls during travel. Each product has a weight limit listed to give you an idea of what it'll hold.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Be aware that 3M warns of adhesive failure at temperatures above 105 degrees. A few days of summer storage without AC and you may come back to find all your pictures on the floor.

danemayer

Be aware that 3M warns of adhesive failure at temperatures above 105 degrees. A few days of summer storage without AC and you may come back to find all your pictures on the floor.
I've lost count of how many 3M Command hooks, tapes, hangers, and other types of things the DW has put on our walls. Despite their warning, Texas heat hasn't caused any of ours to fall just yet.

We have had a few hooks fall down from excess weight. They have a hard time holding ski parkas in really cold weather.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We use the Command strip velcro strips and everything stays in place nicely while we travel!

RanCarr

This is exactly what happened in our RV. And there was broken glass all over the floor. :( We no longer use 3M hooks. We now use Velcro and as light a weight picture frame as possible. Our key hook holder was installed using screws and will stay with the RV if and when we sell it.

You do have to be careful removing the Velcro or it can tear the facing off the fake paneling or wallboard/paper stuff they use these days. Best to just leave the "decoration" on when selling the RV.

RanCarr

We use the Command strip velcro strips and everything stays in place nicely while we travel!

Be careful with Velcro as it doesn't always stick too well to real wood picture frames. We now use a tiny nail through the Velcro on the top of the frames.

Wharton

I am a semi-professional photographer and there is a product called "gatorfoam" that you can have your pictures adhered to for hanging. This product is very lightweight and works well with the 3M hooks. There is no matting or frames to deal with and a lot less weight. Most labs will only adhere pictures that they print. An 8x10 is in the price range of $6-$9, including the print.

RanCarr

I am a semi-professional photographer and there is a product called "gatorfoam" that you can have your pictures adhered to for hanging. This product is very lightweight and works well with the 3M hooks. There is no matting or frames to deal with and a lot less weight. Most labs will only adhere pictures that they print. An 8x10 is in the price range of $6-$9, including the print.

I personally just don't care for pictures without frames of some sort. They look like "something" is missing.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I use the 3M hooks for lots of stuff and have only had one hook ever fall. Of course it was in the bedroom and fell in the middle of the night! It was my fault too because I didn't "clean" the wall there before putting up the adhesive. Fixed it the next morning and it's up there to stay!

PeternLiane

We use the 3M velcro strips. They work perfectly. They also have that pull tab so that you can remove it if you want to.