Bozeman to Montpelier (ID)?????

RuralPastor

We're traveling between Bozeman and Montpelier in August, and I can see three possible routes to take. One takes us through Yellowstone, and the other two are a variation of Routes 20, 26, and 89. Have any of you traveled these routes before? Are elevation changes an issue? I'm pulling an 8000 lb (gross) trailer with a 7.3 psd excursion, so I don't think power is a problem. Any "must sees" in this region?

And, should I even consider traveling through Yellowstone in August? Crowds? We've never been completely through the park before. I do have a couple days or more to make the one-way trip from Montpelier to Bozeman. Thanks for weighing in (figuratively anyway)!

Mark and Cindy

gasman

Camp Socializer
If you have the time, take 89 through both parks and through Star Valley, WY. Every mile of it is worth it. There are no serious passes just beautiful scenery.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mark, just where in Idaho is Montpelier? When we go the Bozeman, we take 20 east from Idaho Falls to 191 in W.Yellowstone and go north.

zztop

The fastest way is from Montpelier to Pocatello (I-15) to Idaho Falls to W. Yellowstone to Bozeman. The slowest and most scenic is Montpelier to Star Valley to Jackson to the south entrance of Yellowstone, then either out through West Yellowstone to Bozeman or out through Mammouth to Livingstone to Bozeman.
There is going be a pass in either direction. One just before Lava Hot Springs or the Salt River Pass just before SV.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
191 from Bozeman to West Yellowstone is a very pretty drive. Your in the Galletin Valley and you can stop and fish in the river if you wish as it runs by the road. You might even see people river rafting.