ATF: Greystone - waste water at the main connection pipe

BigIron

Yes...the valve handles are always seated all the way in.
I have waste water waiting for me everytime I try to connect the sewer hose at the main discharge pipe. The first time was when I took the trailer home and was welcomed by pinkish colored water when I removed the cap to ensure I bought the correct sized sewer hose.
Being in California, I was sure the environmental folks were about to drop from the sky and charge me an environmental fine!

I now carry a large drip pan for this reason. I didn't think it was normal but I was welcomed with 2 quarts to a gallon of waste water when I opened the cap during each setup of my RV trip (jumped four times). I kept about 10 gallons of fresh water for emergency restroom breaks during my first major RV trip this month (JULY). Yes, the toilet was used during the trip.
So is this normal that an X amount of waste water will spill out into the main discharge pipe or do I need to go back to the dealer?

danemayer

Hi BigIron,

A little water isn't unusual. Depending on slope of the sewer line, and of the rig when dumping, a little water may stay in the sewer pipe when dumping. Then when you move, it finds a lower point, near the sewer opening. You remove the cap and "voila". For that reason, many of us have added a twist-on gate valve at the sewer opening. You hook up the sewer hose and then open the gate valve.

2 Quarts to a gallon indicates a possible problem. One of your valves may not be closing completely.

Probably the most common cause is that toilet paper can get hung up on the black tank valve if you don't flush the tank completely. Then when you close the valve, it's jammed into the valve seat. That can create a slow leak or seeping condition that could let a gallon of water (or more) drain into the closed sewer pipe.

Sometimes the gate valves don't have anything blocking them - they may just leak a bit. That happened to me. The replacement valve was worse and the tech had to replace it again after testing it.

Infrequently, when cutting the hole in the tank to mount the sewer connections, the disc falls in and can later create a problem at the valve.

If under warranty, you're probably best off taking the rig to your dealer. Be sure to tell them it's a slow leak and how much fluid you're seeing. If you diagnose which tank is leaking ahead of time, that'll help (fill one tank and let it sit - see if the 2 gallons shows up). They'll drop the underbelly and take off the leaking valve to find out what's causing the leak. One note: if the cause is toilet paper, it's probably not going to be covered by warranty.

Another device many of us have added helps make sure you've really emptied the black tank. It's a clear, flush-king adapter that goes between the sewer pipe outlet, and the sewer hose. It lets you see what's coming out to know when the tank is really clean.

Welcome to the world of sanitary plumbing. :rolleyes:

Btw, I deleted the duplicate thread.

rick_debbie_gallant

When I did my PDI at General RV in Birchrun the fellow doing the pdi "strongly advised" me to purchase one of those gate valves and a clear section of the plastic pipe. That was the BEst 30 bucks I ever spent. Well I take that back, the best thirty bucks was for the engagement ring for lovely wife and the marriage license I had to get wayyyyyyyyyyy back in JULY OF 1972. But then that is a whole different story. GASP, OH MY GOSH, IT WILL BE 40 YEARS WEDDED BLESS ON THE 29TH OF THIS MONTH. But just dont tell anyone, especially my kids mother. :eek::cool:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
By all means get the Valtura gate valve and a clear adaptor. Got a gallon of poop water on my flip-flops one time. That a WHOLE nother story.

GOTTOYS

I've had the same problem since new. It's a ways back to the valve from the pipe cap and I'm sure all the water doesn't always drain when dumping. I placed a spin on valve at the end of the pipe and left it there. Now I have a positive shut off right ahead of the sewer hose connection. It also allows me to open both grey tanks and equalize the levels between the two as well as it works as an emergency shut-off in the event one of the valves won't close. Should be standard equipment in my opinion. I'll never have another rig without one...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So far, my valves haven't leaked and the pipe is dry when I pull the cap. But I also keep the clear back flush adapter on, along with a twist-on valve. With our previous TT, though, it was notorious for having sewage in the pipe after closing the tank valve. Having the twist-on valve was mandatory.

JohnDar

When I did my PDI at General RV in Birchrun the fellow doing the pdi "strongly advised" me to purchase one of those gate valves and a clear section of the plastic pipe. That was the BEst 30 bucks I ever spent. Well I take that back, the best thirty bucks was for the engagement ring for lovely wife and the marriage license I had to get wayyyyyyyyyyy back in JULY OF 1972. But then that is a whole different story. GASP, OH MY GOSH, IT WILL BE 40 YEARS WEDDED BLESS ON THE 29TH OF THIS MONTH. But just dont tell anyone, especially my kids mother. :eek::cool:

Well, Happy (early) 40th Anniversary! Our 39th is the 21st of this month.

BigIron

All,

Thanks for the info. Take away from your experiences is get a gate valve installed at the end of the sewer pipe. My sewer hose has a clear end so I can see if the waste water is coming out clear...couple bucks saved I guess on the money pit.

And ODD as it may be writing this while discussing RV sanitary issues....Happy 39th and 40th Anniversaries to Rick and Debbie and CAMP GOTCHURWALLET(LOL)

BigIron

Mr. Mayer,

As for the duplicate thread, what does it take to completely empty the tanks? Having to raise up and down trailer, drive around and park on 5-8% slope to ensure tanks and pipes are empty seems excessive. Seems normal, I guess, considering the P-traps....but what of the sensors registering 1/3 until I did all the above to make it finally read empty?

John

rick_debbie_gallant

Mr. Mayer,

As for the duplicate thread, what does it take to completely empty the tanks? Having to raise up and down trailer, drive around and park on 5-8% slope to ensure tanks and pipes are empty seems excessive. Seems normal, I guess, considering the P-traps....but what of the sensors registering 1/3 until I did all the above to make it finally read empty?

John

John, you most likely have a problem with sewer trout eggs clogging up your sensors. Sometimes it takes a really good flushing to take care of them. Good luck! Have you tried some water softner and detergeant yet. that may help. If not have several dozen young people for a dance. that will shake thing up a bit.

danemayer

what of the sensors registering 1/3 until I did all the above to make it finally read empty?
BigIron,

I think you've got 2 separate questions.

Several owners have opened the underbellies in their rigs and noticed that the tanks can expand or sag a bit in the center. Since that's below the drain level, some fluid won't drain when the rig is level. If you tilt the rig in different ways, you'll get that fluid to drain. That may be what you're experiencing.

The sensor readings are probably a separate question. They are notoriously unreliable; particularly the black tank sensor. In our rig, the black tank sensor almost always reads full. There's probably a piece of wet TP stuck to the top sensor. The gray tank sensors frequently show 2/3 full after being drained. The only one I pay attention to is the fresh tank sensor, and that's because while not terrible accurate, at least it's not wildly inaccurate.

I've heard there are better sensors available and if it bothers you enough, you might look into what's available.

JohnDar

After watching the video on the Horst sensor probes, I get the impression the only time the OEM sensors are close to accurate is when the tank is bone dry. Were I to be obsessed with accurate tank readings, I think I would forego drilling more holes in the tank and use the SeeLevel system, instead. But, using the burping toilet indicator, I dump the grays when the black gets dumped. Only exception is that I open Gray #1 when we run the washer. If the grays do get full (before the black tank says it's time), you'll know because water won't drain from the sinks.

BigIron

ALL,

Thanks again. The information provided allows me to gauge whether I really need to go to the dealer or not.

Its an all day event for me!

John

BigIron

All,

Looking at the Valterra twist on valve...is it safe to travel with that on the end of the sewer line? Seems the device will catch some wind turbulence and possibly fall off.

My luck the environmental police would be right behind me when it happens:)

rick_debbie_gallant

All,

Looking at the Valterra twist on valve...is it safe to travel with that on the end of the sewer line? Seems the device will catch some wind turbulence and possibly fall off.

My luck the environmental police would be right behind me when it happens:)

The only time it came off is when I was dumping the tankll I twisted to hard and off it came. So now I have a small ste screw in place by one of the locking points.

danemayer

Mine's been on for over a year and probably more than 8000 miles. I have it mounted so the handle is at 2 o'clock and gravity is helping to keep it in place. I also tied it so if it were to come loose, it wouldn't just fall off.

I think some people use light adhesive to hold them in place. Light enough to be able to take it off.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ditto on the placement like Dan and Jon's. Been there for almost two years without ever getting loose. I do like Rick's idea of the set screw though. I may try that (with a stainless steel screw of course).