Golden Gate Tire Blowout

Cooper

Friday night I had a friend call with a blowout on his Golden Gate. He was about 70 miles from home. He was headed out on a 3 week vacation. The Trail America tire beat up the side of his trailer before he could stop. He pulled off on the side of the road and it just happened to be very muddy.
It took about 3 hours to change the tire because of the mud.
Now he was stuck in the mud and had to wait another two hours for his brother to come pull him out.
This blowout upset him so bad he just took his trailer back home and parked it. Loaded his truck and continued on his vacation.
Another satisfied Trail America customer.
I had a blowout on my Gloden Gate with Trail America tires about 6 months ago did about $4500.00 worth of damage. If you have these tires on your rig get them off as fast as you can. I replaced mine with GoodYears G-614.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Cooper,
All tires can blow out on any Trailer. This past two weeks I stoped on I80 near my place and I had one coach that had Goodyear tire on and it went flat or blew out the couple does not know. the other coach happen to be Trail Ameracan tire that went flat and had a bad valve stem and did damage to the coach. We also need to know just how fast we are driving with these tires and how hot these tires are getting at these high speeds. This is the hardest thing on any tire is heat. Evans & Lana

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
At the lectures at the Rally in Redmond Oregon, both Michelin and Goodyear say the biggest problems with RV tires is overloading and low tire pressure. They advise 10 to 12000 !! miles to change them out. And once a tire has been overloaded ie the opposite tire blows, to change both tires on the axel. Expensive......

Uncle Rog

Howdy Rand, they told you to change out the tire on the same axle? I would think the tire on the same side as the blowout would be the one overloaded by carrying the weight of both tires on the same side, interesting.......

When I lost a tire this spring, once I got most of the old carcass off, I limped in 20 miles on three tires as there was not a lot of help around and I did not want to have a problem by myself out in the desert, not a good idea it would appear. My 12 ton bottle jack leaked out all the oil so it was useless......

L'l John

Trail America

I have read about a lot of problems with the Trail America tires. My Bighorn has the Karrier Loadstar tires, which I have not read many reports of problems.
Just because most tires are Chinese made these days, should one be worried about other brands that are not Trail America? :confused:
I hate to think I should spend a Thousand Dollars or more for another, more American brand before using these for a reasonable amount of time-miles.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Hi Roger
Sounds like you overloaded all 3 tires then... I picked up a couple of tire books from Michelin and Goodyear at the rally. Have got to sit down and have a read very soon.
The Michilin man said we could use any tire (auto, truck, or trailer) on our 5th wheels. My question was why do you make a trailer tire then. He did not give an answer. Leaves a lot of questions when the head guy of RV tires at Michilin gives out this kind of advise.

Cooper

Maybe I am just and old fart but, I would rather have American made products on my American made RV or anything I have.

Mels Musty Music

L'l John - I have the Karrier Loadstar tires on my 3055 also and after about 7,000 miles no problems. They are alot better than the Carlisles I had on my previous SOB.
Hank

Uncle Rog

Rand, let us know what the books say. Sounds like the tire guy got his stories mixed up? You are straight up, I know that for sure... I blew out both rear tires, I am thinking about checking the axle alignment and the whole suspension...just to make sure........