Couch dilemma FIXED (pics)

ImAfossil

Let me start with the givens--------See my reply (narrative) with pictures, down below the last member that replied.

Heartland 2013
North Trail
Caliber Edition
FBS21 (model)

In the slideout this is where the dinette sits, with a curved couch. This converts to a 2 person bed when you remove the table amd insert the particle board for support. No matter how we juggle the cushions, there is about 3 inches of nasty, particle board that sticks out the full length of the insert, when you convert to a bed. This a splinter minefield. I duct taped all edges, against the splinters, that are just waiting to nail you. Something is definetly wrong with this setup.

This has wife and I stumped and also the Techs at the RV dealership, are also stumped. We are all doing something wrong or there has to be a manufacturing fix, nobody knows about.

This is a call for help and thanks,
fossil

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I thought the back cushion under the window was the one that goes on the particle board insert. Hopefully some 21fbs owners will chime in.

ImAfossil

Re: Curved Couch Dilema (now with pics)

4 pictures with a narrative----The couch / bed cushions, it does not matter if slideout is in or out.
1) The couch where table fits (when slideout is out) Looks A OK.
2) The particle board inserted for sleeping
3) The cushions are pushed back to the wall---You can see the particle board sticking out about 4 inches.
4) Pulling the cushions out and away from the wall and filling the gap betwee the wall with 2 small vertical cushions. The particle board is covered, but the setup is really hokey looking around the back of the couch----This can't be right----Heartland has to have a fix or am I missing something. fossilfsb 001 (Medium).jpgfsb 005 (Medium).jpgfsb 002 (Medium).jpgfsb 003 (Medium).jpg

smildrum

Yup- we have been perplexed too. After 4 years never have able to figure out how to set up the cushions on the dinette to make a bed. Ours is not curved but rectangular. North Trail 21fbs.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Seems they've changed the design again. We had issues with ours as well, 2008, pre-curved corners. I think at one time the puzzle worked... Not so much now, but it makes a nice looking couch. Your last pic seems to be a possible solution?

E

danemayer

If you don't get a definitive answer from another owner by Monday, I'd call Heartland Customer Service and ask them how they designed it to work. Your pictures should help you get a meaningful answer.

rick_debbie_gallant

you most likely tried leaving the back cushion where it were and use the two separate cushions as the filler.

PeternLiane

LOL ok I thought that we used the table top. Where is the particle board? Did you try the cushions vertically? All of the cushions going the same direction. Will we will be using it next weekend. We will be using every bed in our 22FBS. If we could keep our NT at our house I'd run right out and figure it out. We have to keep our NT 106 miles away. Darn HOA's. Now I can't wait to get up there and try it.

ImAfossil

Peter / Liane:
The Tech at the dealership gave us a rundown on the 21FBS. He went right to the main bed. He lifted the bed up and in a compartment (under the bed) he pulled out the particle board. He put it across the couch and started arranging pillows. He got frustrated and got a splinter under his nail (OUCH ! !). At one time there were 5 people, from the dealership, in the FBS trying to figure the puzzel out----All failed. There has to be a FIX.
The sad part is when we got home and were showing off the 21FBS, every single person looked at the couch / bed and basically commented ; that setup can't be right. I said silently----"you are right". fossil

ILH

No doubt you've already tried this - but here it is anyway. On our previous TT by SOB the back cushions fit into gap to make up the difference. Like I said - I'm sure you tried ghis already.

ImAfossil

Our couch dilemma is now FIXED (pics)

In a previous post, my thread read "Couch dilema"---One improvement, I spelled dilemma right, in the title.

I am posting 2 pics;

1st pic) This is where you take out the back cushion and convert to a bed after you insert a piece of particle board. The front edge of the particle board is a minefield of splinters. This can't be right and it looks terrible. I actually used duct tape on the edges to combat the splinters.
2nd pic) The dealer came up with a FIX. Is it the right fix ??? Not sure, but it works and looks better. The dealer took a matching back cushion out of another unit, put it in our unit, and it is functional and looks OK. It took 2 back cushions to make the bed conversion funtional.

Our Unit---2013 Heartland, North Trail, Caliber Edition, FBS21fix 001 (Medium).jpgfix 002 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

ZNK

Re: Our couch dilemma is now FIXED (pics)

This doesnt make sense. This is the same couch that is in the North Trail. I dont think we have this problem at all... But I will have to check the next time I get mine out of storage.

camr

Would it possibly work if you used the two end cushions, not the curved ones, and placed them against the back wall. If you were using the couch as a bed, these cushions would come off in any event. Judging by the photo, they might be too short by a small amount, but they would take up the space. Our Edge M22 had a similar set up, but I cannot remember how it worked. Just a thought.
-Cam

rick_debbie_gallant

Would it possibly work if you used the two end cushions, not the curved ones, and placed them against the back wall. If you were using the couch as a bed, these cushions would come off in any event. Judging by the photo, they might be too short by a small amount, but they would take up the space. Our Edge M22 had a similar set up, but I cannot remember how it worked. Just a thought.
-Cam

How about those end cushions be the ones that lay flat and use them as the fillers for that bed?

ImAfossil

I tried using the end cushions and my neighbors said 'that doesn't look right and it detracts from a pretty camper. No, you have to get that fixed'. Leaving all of the back cushions in place, cuts off some of my places little fingers can get through to the particle board. I am going to replace the particle board with finished plywood and fine sand the edges. fossil
fsb 003.jpg

Last edited:

ZNK

I do not think that the bed is suppose to look finished when in the bed position. The main function of the area is the table and couch not a bed. Does it even need the cushions in the middle?

ImAfossil

When we were shopping for a new RV, our 3 wants were ; a)affordability, b)weight c)basically a 2 person unit, but enough sleeping room to take our young grandkids with us. The dealer said I have something that fits perfect----The couch converted into a bed has enough room to handle the 3 grandkids and possibly someday, the 4th that is on the road , but the stork is late. When converted into a bed there is plenty of room for our little tykes without using the model with bunks.

I will get the measuremnets and report back. fossil