Need advice on portable generators

SeldomSeen

Just purchased a 2011 Heartland Greystone 29MK and thinking about using a portable generator for trips that might require some dry camping. Any suggestions as to how big (watts) it might take and any brands better than others, sound also an issue. I will run it outside in the rear of the unit, will use propane for water heater and stove. Only need for tv and the wife's curling irons and hair dryers and the like, maybe air once in a while if needed (only 1 unit). Weight might also be an issue, could put in on the units bumper or carry in the bed of the truck, but getting up and down might present itself as a problem. I'm a novice at this process so any assistance would be appreciated.

pattihobe

Re: generator help?

We use a Honda 3K, It will run everything you want just not everything at one time. Its as quiet as you can get and is easy on fuel.

brianharrison

I suggest a Honda EU2000 - 2000 watt, quiet and should do everything you want except run a 13,500 BTU air conditioner. If you wish, you can expand to 4000W by purchasing another 2000W in the future and couple them together with the EU2000 Companion unit or parallel kit.

An alternate is to purchase the Honda 1000EU, however it will only give your half the wattage (of course) and I do not beleive it can be coupled with additional units.

I would NOT get the generic hardware store, construction generator - as these are too loud for campgrounds, in my opinion. There are other quiet brands out there (usually inverter types) such as Boily, Yamaha, simiar to Honda that others with experience with may chime in on.....

Hope this helps.
Brian

EDIT - Honda power equipment website has some good info on Determining RV Power Needs for Generators. There are other sites out there as well.

Last edited:

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders

I totally agree with using a an eu2000. My first genny was a 2000. great choice. I now use an eu3000 which I mounted on a slide by my water hookup, the dump valves etc. It to is a great choice but it weighs a 135 lbs. thats why its on a slide

relocator

I totally agree with using a an eu2000. My first genny was a 2000. great choice. I now use an eu3000 which I mounted on a slide by my water hookup, the dump valves etc. It to is a great choice but it weighs a 135 lbs. thats why its on a slide

A slide on the side. I'd like to see a picture of that, sounds like a great idea!.. Will your eu3000 run your A/C? I have a Dometic 15k and can't seem to find the wattage/amps it takes to run.

pegmikef

I use the Honda eu2000 and its eu2000 companion. I only run both of them if we need to run our 15K btu air conditioner, otherwise I stagger running each one as needed. I try to keep the hours on them matched for easier maintenance. Each unit weighs about 55 pounds with a full tank of gas (little over a gallon), so they are easy to move around. I usually haul them on the pull out cargo carrier (some say bike carrier) that comes standard on the North Trail. I have also hauled them in the pickup. They are very quiet and will produce a little over 30 amps when run as a pair or about 1700 watts individually.

sjs731

I use 2 Yamaha 2000 watt units. If I don't need the A/C then we run one. Very quiet and they weigh 44 lbs each without gas. I have hauled them in my 5er and also in the bed of my truck. Much easier to carry and lift into a truck than bigger.units

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the Boliy 3600. It really has never been needed but I have tested it using our 15K A/C unit and it does a great job. It's comparable to the noise level of the Honda but much less $$$ and only weighs 68 lbs. easy enough for me to get in and out of the truck and move around.
I start and run it frequently to keep the fuel system clean. Most always starts on 1 or 2 pulls. It also has a 30 amp RV outlet.

GOTTOYS

I had a Honda 2000 that I never used so I sold it. It was just too easy to pickup and walk away with. Even though you can run a chain or cable through the handle it's made of plastic and can easily be cut. I replaced it with a Champion 4000/3500 that I never use either. The Champion cost about $600.00 less. It's noisier, a bit harder on fuel and heavier. But on the plus side it has twice the power and sells for 1/3 of a Honda. It's actually a popular generator among RVers. I keep it around mainly to use at home if we ever lose our power. Of course that hasn't happened yet for more than an hour in 34 years but ya never know...It would be acceptable to use if I was boon docking but I wouldn't want to irritate my neighbors with the noise if anyone was close. My little Honda wasn't THAT quiet when running under a full either...Don

SeldomSeen

:) Thanks everyone, very informative and helpful as usual. I think the 3k Honda sounds like the idea for me. Thanks again

porthole

Retired
You are in Arizona, so I assume you will be camping when you really need your AC.

Get a Honda and you will not regret it.
Get at least 3000 watts and you most likely will not regret it.

Several of the popular 2K Genny's now offer a "parallel" feature, e.g., two 2000 watt units tied together to give you 4K.

These comments for the most part have the Honda inverter models in mind.
2000 Watts
Advantage:
  • 2K when that is all you need, 4 K when you need it
  • Quiet
  • Easy to carry and store
Disadvantage:
  • two fuel tanks to deal with and smaller tanks then a single 3K unit. Although, you can buy kits that allow you to feed both units from a common tank feed.
  • Nosier then a 3K unit at similar loads
  • because of the portability, they can portable themselves right off your campsite

3000 watts
  • Will run your AC
  • Quiet. Actually at no to full load they are quieter then the 2K models.
  • Sizable fuel tank, 3.5 gallons IIRC
  • Because of the weight and size they are harder to make off with
  • Electric start, not that the Honda's need it
Disadvantages
  • Larger
  • Heavy, about 135 pounds
  • Although portable it is best to have help if you plan on lifting it frequently. Wheel kits are available

wdk450

I bought the Boily 3600 for about $1200. It "only" weighs 70 lbs, but lives permanently between my truck bed toolbox and my 5th wheel hitch. It is locked down to the hitch with a heavy security motorcycle security chain and lock. I upgraded the lifting bars on the generator to metal plumbing pipes (from aluminum bars) for better lockdown security. The Boily has electric start (remote control optional). I put a trash bag over it during wet weather. I got an RV 30 amp extention cord from Walmart that makes it able to reach the rear-connected 50 amp power cord (with an adapter). This, along with 4 group 24 deep cycle batteries, lets me boondock when I want to.The only problem I have had is when it got wet at Quartsite in a quick overnight shower (!!!). Some Seafoam fuel additive and ether starting spray fixed that.Here is a link: http://www.boliyguy.com/

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's the best place to buy Honda EU's, (Or, a lot of products) IMHO. http://www.speedwaysales.com/honda/index.php

I have purchased from them twice and never found a better price. Good customer service, as well.
They can't advertise prices. You need to call.

DON'T pay Honda dealer, or CW prices. Trace

Last edited:

dave10a

Buying a generator requires a lot of decisions. Inverter vs non-inverter, slip ring alternator vs brushes, fuel type, power rating, duty cycle, noise, weight, price range and so forth. When some one asks me what kind of generator to buy I ask them to define those attributes first.

relocator

A 3000EU will run a 15k AC. Starting wattage is about 3300W and running about 2000W (estimate). Here is one link to information.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Thanks Brian,
That site does say the starting wattage for a 15k is 3300 watts.
I'm using a Kipor IG3000 that I bought when I got my first RV. Wished I'd bought two Honda 2000's but...My first fiver had a 15K and the Kipor started it and ran it without going into overload or wanting to stall. My new Greystone also came with a 15K but I've been a little reluctant to try running it. Someone on a previous post suggested having only the ac fan on at first then quickly switching it to cool. I think I'll try that.

swanndive

I use the Honda 3000 as well and I purchased a $100.00 table jack that jacks up to the perfect height of my truck bed or the storage compartment of my 33QS for easy load and unload.

davebennington

I told Julie that we needed a generator. Her task was to find one that would work for us min. 3000 watts. She found a Kipor for $1000, if we turn the air conditioner fan on and then turn the a/c (15000 BTU) on everything runs OK. It seems to be quiet when running under a load. It rides between the toolbox/fuel tank and the fifth wheel hitch. So far we have not had any problems with it.

dave

relocator

I told Julie that we needed a generator. Her task was to find one that would work for us min. 3000 watts. She found a Kipor for $1000, if we turn the air conditioner fan on and then turn the a/c (15000 BTU) on everything runs OK. It seems to be quiet when running under a load. It rides between the toolbox/fuel tank and the fifth wheel hitch. So far we have not had any problems with it.

dave

Dave, that's the same place I keep mine. I'm going to do the same thing with the fan first then the cool. I like 'swanndive's' idea of a lift to get it in and out of the truck. I think I'll check with Harbor Freight, maybe their transmission jack will work.
Mike

davebennington

I made up a short 30 amp line to run from the generator the the rear of the truck, that way sometime in the future I can connect to the trailer while traveling and run the A/C. As far as loading the generator I use two planks and just push it up into the truck, it is held in place with with a couple of ratchet tie-downs, and a motorcycle cable to keep it from wandering off.

dave