Finishings on the wood cabinets.

We have a 2012 Bighorn fifth wheel. The finishings on the cabinets and hardware is terrible. The finish has come off of the kitchen and bathroom cabinets under the sinks. If any water gets on the finish it comes off! We traded in a 2002 fifth wheel when we bought the new one and the cabinets were like new. The finish was perfect even where water would get on them (kitchen and bathroom) but our new fifth wheel's finish is terrible. We bought our fifth wheel in for maintence and told them about the problem. Heartland would only replace the hardware but refused to do anything about the finish on the cabinets. Said it was our fault because we got water on them! We were told we should have put towels over the doors before using the water to protect the finish, Right! Has anyone else had this problem and would it be a waste of time to call Heartland direct to see what they could do for us. Thanks.

bighorn3370

I am not a where of anyone having this problem. Yes you should call Heartland and have you vin number. Ernie

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
It could be a bad batch of finish, but Ernie is right about contacting Heartland Customer Service. They may send the new finish to you to be put on or refer you to your dealer for the work to be done.

danemayer

would it be a waste of time to call Heartland direct to see what they could do for us.
Hi KathleenSturges,

First, let me say that from the fact that you're asking if you should call Heartland directly, I have to think that so far you've only heard from your dealer. Let me encourage you to call customer service directly. When 3 or more people are involved (you, the dealer, Heartland), there's plenty of room for miscommunication.

Second, in my experience, wood stain is generally both decorative and protective. Stains used to finish wood normally soak into the wood and won't wash off from contact with water. Of course, that's assuming the drawers are wood. The stain and the wood can be damaged by water, but to the best of my knowledge, it should never just wash off. So it might be important to differentiate between water damage and "finish coming off."

You might try a test in an inconspicuous area. Try gently cleaning a small area of the finished wood with a damp cloth. If the finish comes off, I would think there's a problem. If it isn't damaged, then you might need to re-evaluate the other areas. Maybe there's another way to describe what's happened.

My advice would be to call Heartland Customer Service. I'd also suggest taking some good pictures that show the problem clearly. Customer Service will probably ask for pictures. Better to have them ready ahead of time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Even shellac and water-borne finishes don't just come off the moment they get wet. Sounds like you've got a really bad batch of finish in your rig. Into our fourth summer season, and none of the cabinets or hardware show any signs of finish failure. We even use a damp washcloth to clean up spatters and spills that occur. As recommended, call Heartland directly and get the refusal straight from them, if that truly be the case.

Dave49

Yes I have that problem also. Exactly as you described. Only I have a 2011 Bighorn 3670. Took it to the dealer and they contacted Heartland with pictures and Heartland told them this is normal wear. Yikes that was only a few months into owning it. I complained on deaf ears and got exactly nowhere with them. No I didn't put towels over my cupboards to protect them. Thats a new way of protection that I was not aware of. Not really sure if there is anything I can do about it now.

Maybe I made a mistake and didn't contact Heartland myself and not taken the word from the dealer. Only thing I can think of. If anyone has any ideas on what we could do I am all ears as this is the only real complaint I have with Heartlands product.

Dave

soilmovers

Yes I have that problem also. Exactly as you described. Only I have a 2011 Bighorn 3670. Took it to the dealer and they contacted Heartland with pictures and Heartland told them this is normal wear. Yikes that was only a few months into owning it. I complained on deaf ears and got exactly nowhere with them. No I didn't put towels over my cupboards to protect them. Thats a new way of protection that I was not aware of. Not really sure if there is anything I can do about it now.

Maybe I made a mistake and didn't contact Heartland myself and not taken the word from the dealer. Only thing I can think of. If anyone has any ideas on what we could do I am all ears as this is the only real complaint I have with Heartlands product.

Dave

The 2012 3685 we have has the same problem. There doesn't appear to be any sealant on them even though they are glazed- no varnish, poly or whatever. I am very careful about drying the doors that are near water but now the finish has worn off.
Our 3055 has the oak cabinets that have held up beautifully over the years.

Westwind

I also have had the same problem on my 2012 Big Horn 3070RL, I have the glazed maple finish and I have stained the bare spots where the finish came off with maple stain and then covered the area's with satin Minwax Poly. Don't know how it will work out because we didn't use the trailer this summer, but it won't be long until we leave for Florida.
I've gone around and touched up the tops of the lower cabinet doors and the bathroom cabinet doors. I don't have a good feeling about the cabinet finishes. I don't feel that the amount or type of use of our FW should have caused this by now. Our previous TT was 10 years old and the finish on the cabinets was like new.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
These problems make me wonder what kind/brand of finish is actually being applied.

gjackson

Yes I have that problem also. Exactly as you described. Only I have a 2011 Bighorn 3670.

Dave

Same RV, same problem. I'm careful about wiping down cabinets when water gets on them and still have this issue. The kitchen slide front edge (platform?) looks terrible and all I've done is wipe it down and polish it occasionally. I love my Big Horn but there have been times I think Heartland quality is the pits!

readytohitheroad

For those of you with this "problem": Do you believe that this is a function of what you paid for your rig? That if you purchased a slightly more expensive rig and avoided this issue it would have been worth the investment? Whether it be a Heartland rig or SOB?

TeJay

One has to keep in mind that today's finished (all subject to the EPA) are mostly water based. They are not as good as the stuff used 8 or more years ago. The new stuff just won't hold up as well especially in an industry that is really price conscience. They will do what they can to just get by. Am I wrong or is this exactly what we see with regards to the tires and suspensions???? The dealer may not do much to solve your problem because they will probably use the same stuff that the factory used. If it were me I'd take all the doors off, lightly steel wool them with 0000, lay them flat and spray on lacquer in what ever gloss you want or brush a poly finish. Lacquer will dry in about 10 minutes poly takes over night. Practice on the inside of one of the doors to see how things will go. I was at a paint store yesterday and inquired about their lacquers. They can get lacquer in glosses ranging from 10-90, 90 being very shiny and 10 being a matte finish. I think they were $30 a gallon. If you don't have the stuff to spray paint contact a cabinet shop and tell them that you'll bring the doors over and it shouldn't cost you to much to have them sprayed. I'd do it for $50. If the finish on the face frames around the doors is coming off that's a different story. You'd have to mask everything off and spray in the unit. That still shouldn't be to bad of a job or cost to much if you did the masking.

Just my thoughts,
TeJay

navyAZ1

One has to keep in mind that today's finished (all subject to the EPA) are mostly water based. They are not as good as the stuff used 8 or more years ago. The new stuff just won't hold up as well especially in an industry that is really price conscience. They will do what they can to just get by. Am I wrong or is this exactly what we see with regards to the tires and suspensions???? The dealer may not do much to solve your problem because they will probably use the same stuff that the factory used. If it were me I'd take all the doors off, lightly steel wool them with 0000, lay them flat and spray on lacquer in what ever gloss you want or brush a poly finish. Lacquer will dry in about 10 minutes poly takes over night. Practice on the inside of one of the doors to see how things will go. I was at a paint store yesterday and inquired about their lacquers. They can get lacquer in glosses ranging from 10-90, 90 being very shiny and 10 being a matte finish. I think they were $30 a gallon. If you don't have the stuff to spray paint contact a cabinet shop and tell them that you'll bring the doors over and it shouldn't cost you to much to have them sprayed. I'd do it for $50. If the finish on the face frames around the doors is coming off that's a different story. You'd have to mask everything off and spray in the unit. That still shouldn't be to bad of a job or cost to much if you did the masking.

Just my thoughts,
TeJay

Folks, be careful applying a Lacquer finish over these existing finishes! Most finishes will not tolerate lacquer being applied over them, the lacquer will attack the existing finish and cause it to "crinkle". I would suggest that if you want to apply a good durable finish that will adhere to and not affect your existing finish, that you apply a polyurathane finish rather than lacquer. As stated above be sure and rough up the finish with some mild abrasive to ensure the new finish will adhere, and make sure the surface is clean and dust free. I also agree with the earlier statement that they are most likely using a water based product to finish the wood, and I can tell you as a 4th generation cabinetmaker that even under the best conditions these new water based finishes are not durable, and if the shop conditions are even the least bit off the finishes are headed for problems. Not going to get into a enviromental type argument, but in my opinion these new finishes have been forced on us by the EPA, and the finish manufacters have not done their part to make sure they have a quality product to replace the old finishes that we used to use. Ann and I have had very good luck in dealing directly with Heartland Customer Service over the years, and don't forget a lot of the response you get is tied to "how you ask". Good Luck getting your problems taken care of.

Ron

caissiel

We had a high end unit for 15 years and the finish was not varnished and it look like new when we traded. We gave it a good clean up once a year or every 6 months when Full timing with a good furniture polish to highlight the wood. It never lost its finish and was well. I know because it was my job. Some owners varnished it but it took the richness out, and looked cheap.
The more wood is rich, the closer it is to natural. We want richeness and that is what we get, real wood.
We had a very expensive maple table and chairs and we had to watch for humidity staying to long on the finish, it would turn white if not polished properly.

TeJay

Ron,
Your points are well taken and I respect your experience. As a cabinetmaker you are aware of the positive and negative aspects of the various options available. My advice for anybody is to research your options and then decide. Check with some paint stores and get some names of some local cabinetmakers. With a little luck you could find someone to give you some advice.

TeJay

John T Bettencourt

I have a 2009 Landmark Augusta and we have to be very careful as the cherry finish will come off on our cabinets. But I have had a bigger problem with the cabinet doors coming apart. I have had to reglue four doors so far.