To Vent or Not To Vent?

JeffG1947

I know it gets hot inside my trailer when it's in the storage yard. I've read it could get up to 130F and create problems with the wallpaper.

So I've made and installed the aluminum insulation between all of the windows and the blinds. I also keep a couple of jars of DampRid crystals in place to keep the unit dry and avoid moisture problems.

If I leave the bathroom vent open it should give the excess heat a way to vent out, but likely it will increase the humidity level in the trailer (and possibly make using the DampRid a wasted effort).

What do you do?

Thanks!

dalspot

We don't do anything besides just pull the shades down on all the windows. I'm really surprised at how comfortable our unit is when it's been sitting and all closed up. One thing we did do that made a big difference in the heat inside in hot weather was to get two of the Camco pillow vent insulators. Besides blocking the heat coming down thru the vent in the bedroom and bath, it makes the place a lot darker in the morning. And insulates in the winter.

Karen

porthole

Retired
We store at home. I leave the roof vents open, but they are covered with the various roof vent covers.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We have vent covers on both of our vents but we also have the Fantsatic Fan which is on a thermostat that I keep at 80 degrees. I guess I should mention we also keep ours plug in during the camping season most of the time.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't say weather it's right or wrong but I installed one of the new style vents over the bathroom fantastic fan to enable me to leave the vent partially open while in storage down in FL. I feel it should let some of the hot air escape.
We talked to quite a few people before leaving and most, if not all, use kitty litter to absorb moisture. We used a combination of kitty litter and damp rid. We put the damp rid in the shower stall and the kitchen sink. Just in case???